• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFFG question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Powder will not damage the barrel in the "un-burnt" stage, as long as the weapon is not stored primed, there should not be too much concern.

The patch lube may dry out over time also.
If stored loaded for over a week, plug the end of the barrel too, this will keep dust from setteling in the barrel.

Remember to plug the nipple/flash hole before storing, this will stop moisture and sparks from getting to the main charge.

I would also "TAG" the weapon as loaded, a simple tag (with the word "LOADED") tied to the ram rod's thimble will serve to remind you, and others that the gun is loaded.

You may know its loaded, but someone else might not know this...

As always, treat all guns as if loaded...

This will add to the safty and keep from double loading by mistake.

Good point Musketman, I put a piece of masking tape over the muzzle to indicate that there is a charge in the barrel

Cody

This forum and discussion is outstanding. I have learned a lot just by reading all of the responses, situations and locations.

Since I live in the country, and actually have a personal shooting range in my backyard, I think it would be best for me to just shoot out the load, but if I keep one in the rifle, I will tag the weapon as noted in the suggestions.

So many other good suggestions too. I thank all of you for your time and effort. When using FFFG, I will proably start off with 55-60 grains and play with the groups from that point. I do like the advertised and reported quick clean up of the FFFG.

I am beginning to understand that there are a myraid of options and some experimentation and good sense are needed to fine tune the shooting/firearm care experience. I have manyy new skills to learn and fine tune.

My wife just rolled her eyes when I said I need to get a .50 cal pistol next. ha!

Thanks again to all.

...and for me, the satisfaction of any new hobby
is always in the journey...getting up to speed,
realizing all the unknowns, the trials, mistakes,
discoveries, learning, etc, etc...I almost don't want to get to the top of the learning curve because the journey will be slowing down...

quote:Originally posted by Frank:
[QB]When using FFFG, I will proably start off with 55-60 grains and play with the groups from that point.[QB]Once you get the fine tuned load you have been looking for, stick with it.

Some people, myself included tend to over-experiment with loads and stray off the best path.

Remember, changing the littlist of things will change your point of impact.
The difference in patch lubes, powder and patch thickness will effect where your round ball hits.

You control the variables, be consistant and your muzzleloader will not let you down.

Back