• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fess Parker Flintolock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
look

looks like a Springfield trapdoor with a Frizzen

I loved the show when I was a kid and didn't know squat about flintlocks....
What say Ye ?
( mods ...wasn't sure where to put this)

I lover every bit of that Disney series except for the end! Every kid in the neighborhood was in front of the TV's. Many times there were 10 kids in our living room! Geo. T.

Boy!!
They don't make pistols like that anymore!

I wonder what ever happened to those prop makers?
Now-a-days everything is a cartoon or computer generated it seems.

Then there the guy in the picture.

I understand he was always getting into trouble as a kid.
Every time there was something broken or spilled his dad would say,
"Who done this? Come on....Fess up!" and so he would stand up even though he didn't have the slightest idea of who was to blame.

Just funnin' :grin:

I really enjoyed all of those old Fess Parker movies along with the old Disney show.
Every week, I'd join the other neighborhood kids that didn't have a TV and go down to Bruces house to watch it on his dads television. :)

If you live in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area Comcast has the Daniel Boone Series on 9:00am to 10:00am week days on METV channel 207.

"Pistols" like Fess is holding are rare to come by vs the long guns.
I sure do remember sitting in front of the B&W TV with a couple of my buddies watching the Davy Crockett series. And they weren't re-runs! :haha: That's giving my age away.
Actually, I met Fess's old side-kick, Buddy Ebson while in Los Angeles back in the early 1980's. Even got to talk to him about the old Series over coffee and a sandwich. Great memory.
Here is one of those Trapdoors made to look like a flintlock. This one is from the MGM Studios. It's seen alot of use. Sure wish I knew what movie(s) it was used in. Rick. :hatsoff:

These semi-flintlocks monsters used to show up in Dixie's Antique Arms catalog but I haven't seen one in recent years. They were movie props but I've never heard who actually took credit for them. I've seen them in movies as late as the 90's and they may still be some in studios that'll show up in the future.

I remember the original series on Disney's Sunday evening schedule...yeah, I'm an old fart too! Even have an original 78 of the theme song and "Farewell" on the flip-side! Folks bought it new way back then and we all wore coonskin caps, though probably coyote or God knows what-skin!! At the time, there was a lot of speculation that Fess Parker's rifle was electrically fired to be sure it would go off each time when the camera was rolling. So much had been forgotten about flintlocks and the resurgence of muzzleloading was only then beginning. It's amusing to think about how hugely popular the whole thing was and it basically put the flintlock urge in the public a generation before "Jeremiah Johnson" came along.

I think I saw one of those just the other night.

Watching one of the first shows of the first season of "Have Gun-Will Travel" Paladin won a "case of rifles" in a card game.
Opening the case he pulled one of the guns out and said something to the effect of, "An old 1815 Army rifle! This thing would be dangerous to try to shoot!"

I too am a child of the 60's, and remember watching the Daniel Boone series, it is what got me into black powder all those years ago. I did write him several years before he died, and thanked him for doing such a great job of the series. I know he was just an actor, but he did convey a great sense of decency. I do cringe now when I see these props!! I do not remember them as such, and I allways thought flintlocks discharged as seen on the series, only to realise now it would be a hang fire !!!!

cheers from down under

Heelerau

I occasionally get the 'Davy Crockett- king of the wild frontier' song going through my head while sitting in a tree stand.

After reading this thread, I'm going nuts now: "Kilt him a b'ar when he was only three."

Patocazador said:
I occasionally get the 'Davy Crockett- king of the wild frontier' song going through my head while sitting in a tree stand.

After reading this thread, I'm going nuts now: "Kilt him a b'ar when he was only three."

Try the flip-side:

"FAREWELL"

"Farewell to the mountains
whose mazes to me,
more beautiful, far,
than Eden could be.

The home I redeemed
from the savage and wild,
the home I have loved
as a father, his child.

The wife of my bossom,
farewell to ya'll.
In the land of the stranger,
I rise...or I fall."

All from the golden throat of Tennesse Ernie Ford!

Hi Wes. I was told that most of these flintlock prop guns were made in the Stembridge Armoury in California, which was auctioned off in 2007. Since that time they seem to turn up at local gun shows in California. Yes, I remember Turner Kirkland talking about these in one of their catalogs back in the 1970's I think. He had one of the later made ones that had a tiny steel tube that was tapped in the barrel just in front of the breech area ahead of where the blank 45/70 was. The tube extended back to just behind the frizzen. When firing, it would give the realistic look of pan smoke - from a distance of course. :haha:
I can't remember who at the moment, but there is a Forum member that has one of these that was heavily modified to make into an Arab type gun. I remember sending him a PM mentioning if he ever desides to sell it :haha:
I was told that the brass colored paint on the lock would show up on film as bare metal - in the early B&W films. :idunno: The frizzen and spring on mine as well as the hammer assembly are each a one piece casting.
Here is the muzzle end of mine with the strange brass cone. And another poor photo of one modified as a plains rifle. Rick. :hatsoff:

Wish i had something to play that on.Never did like the series :wink:

DSC07149_zpscb4fde79.jpg

DSC07608_zps0607beb6.jpg

you don't need the "king of the wild frontier", you got the "king of rock & roll"!!!!!!!! :haha: :thumbsup:

ricky said:
I was told that most of these flintlock prop guns were made in the Stembridge Armoury in California, which was auctioned off in 2007. Since that time they seem to turn up at local gun shows in California.... He had one of the later made ones that had a tiny steel tube that was tapped in the barrel just in front of the breech area ahead of where the blank 45/70 was. The tube extended back to just behind the frizzen. When firing, it would give the realistic look of pan smoke - from a distance of course.
I was working at the San Francisco Opera in the early 2000zies, and we acquired a .45 70 pistol along with a foam rubber casting of it from Stembridge before they went out of business. They are the perfect pair of props for the occasional on stage duel. SFO also has 20 or so original .45 70s (I think I got 12 to work at one time). The chamber on the pistol was definitely sleeved down to prevent inserting live ammunition, but I don't recall noticing any Tom-foolery to redirect the charge beyond that.

Heelerau said:
I too am a child of the 60's, and remember watching the Daniel Boone series, it is what got me into black powder all those years ago. I did write him several years before he died, and thanked him for doing such a great job of the series. I know he was just an actor, but he did convey a great sense of decency. I do cringe now when I see these props!! I do not remember them as such, and I allways thought flintlocks discharged as seen on the series, only to realise now it would be a hang fire !!!!

cheers from down under

Heelerau

Well, I had a Davy Crockett hat - I know it was the real thing because it said so, right there, on the top - 'Genuine Davy Crockett hat'.

tac

Latest posts

Back