• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt patch under flat bottom bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if shooters used felt patches under a flat-bottomed bullet like a maxi balls or NoExcuses? It seems to me that it would help to keep the powder energy behind the bullet, similar to using a patch around a RB or the plastic around a sabot. Thoughts?

I shoot flat-bottomed bullets in my Whitworth and Pritchett rifles, and use a thin cardboard wad over the powder to protect the base from the mighty flames of powder ignition.

BTW 'the word 's*b*t' is a no-no on this forum.

I was wondering if shooters used felt patches under a flat-bottomed bullet like a maxi balls or NoExcuses? It seems to me that it would help to keep the powder energy behind the bullet, similar to using a patch around a RB or the plastic around a sabot. Thoughts?
It is something you have to try in your gun. I use slightly oversized 1/8” thick hard felt wads under paperpatched bullets and most conicals when I shoot them. Your gun will let you know if they help.

Where I have never done it, as I haven't shot Maxi-balls in many years, I can see the heat may be high enough to partially melt lead at the base and possibly lead your barrel. If I shot them today, I would probably use a lubricated felt wad. Minnie balls are different, they depend on the hollow base to seal off the gasses. My aging shoulders no longer like heavy powder chargers and bullets. Today, I use round balls only. My 62 caliber round ball with 75 gr 2Fg is more than enough for deer, and my shoulder!

For the long bullets called here "compression" of 500 grains intended for the shooting of average distance (Gibbs and Tryon .45 cal), I use coasters impregnated with grease for Minié bullets and that works very well...
It is possible that this way of doing things could be transposed to many types of bullets and/or replaced by impregnated felt...

Bullet mold used : https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/e...th-1-cavity-long-bullet.html#/104-caliber-451

I've done the same as Timber wolf. If they're oversized it scrapes fouling from the barrel and keeps you shooting a long time.

I use hard card wads in my Volunteer. Both to protect the base of the bullet and to protect the powder since I clean the bore down to the wad every shot, before seating the bullet. I haven't seen any advantage to a felt wad.

I think I seen a YouTube video where the guy used a felt wad over his powder charge for round ball said it protected the patch from burning I'll see if I can find the link.

Last edited:
I use a leather over powder wad for both mini's and prb No blow by or burned patches.

Felt wads have been used under bullets since, at least, the mid-1800’s.
Today it seems, most flat based bullet shooters use some sort of wad to assist in a seal prior to bullet obturation.

Back