• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fav cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaintuck

54 Cal.
Reaction score
what the MOST fav cal?

looking at Kindigs book...looks like a 50 cal~
???????

I think its time for a poll on this that can be flagged on the forum. My Favorite caliber is .45 but I have 2 .50s.

Favorite caliber for what?

That's kinda like asking someone's favorite color; favorite color of what? My favorite color for cars is bright yellow, but that's not my favorite color for pants.

I'll say 54 smoothbore for squirrels.

Well....maybe not fav cal...but the MOST seen/used~

I think 40's are listed as THE accurate, 50 for commonly useed, 54 hunting?

60+ fpr smooth bore???

just a interesting thought~

Up here, the 50 cal is most common among once a year hunters simply using the muzzleloader as a chance for a couple of extra weeks hunting in the special season.

But among guys who shoot muzzleloaders year around, 54 cal is a lot more common. They certainly have a 50 or two, but they're likely in a corner or a closet gathering dust.

And over the last 5 years or so the 58 is taking over. As fast as guys can find a suitable 58, their 54's are joining the 50's in a dusty corner.

I think that is like asking a favorite size wrench. Whatever works.
We pretend to be traditional but there are trends. I have a long used .45 but in recent years have gone to a .54. Don't know if I love the caliber or the rifle.
OTOH, I believe there will be a swing back to smaller sizes due to cost and availability of both lead and powder. I'm hoping for a .40 longrifle flinter one of these days.

I have more .54s than anything. Somebody posted once that the .54 is the .30-06 of muzzleloading. It can be loaded light or heavy enough to handle most anything I'll ever be hunting. Its a very versatile caliber which is probably why its my favorite.

When I asked Kaintuck to build a Lancaster style rifle for me he suggested a couple of different styles and IIRC, he thought that a 1770' style would meet my needs. I chose .54cal based on my previous experience with a .54 CVA 'mountain rifle' which I liked very much for its ball-weight and terminal energy. I suspected that .54 might not be very 'traditional' for the 1770s but .40ish just did not seem 'enough gun' for me and anything larger in a rifle seemed really out of place from my reading. I still have a lot to learn about what is and what is not 'traditional' but I am certain that I am going to be absolutely and completely tickled with my rifle from Kaintuck. I have had a work of not 'bugging' Kaintuck about the rifle's work progress; I've never been a very patient man but I know that impatience does not make a rifle any better...all good things come to... baxter

When I was hunting up a good caliber I came across a report of the balls excavated at Ft. Michilimackinac and, eliminating the .75 to .65 musket range, the average size was .530"

Just happens to be my favorite for hunting.

My favorite is the .32cal because that's what I use to scare (and occasionally kill) squirrels with. For I am a squirrel hunter. Next I use a .36cal for the same reasons (and results).

Vern

Hogs - .54
Deer - .54 or .50
Squirrel - .40 or .36
Close paper - 40
Far paper - .50 or .54
Pistol - .36

CS

Mine is the .45. I've spent more time with it than any others and can't really think of anything it won't do and do very well. I'm talking about deer, hog and black bear and nothing bigger. For small game it does just fine.

Just because it's my favorite doesn't mean I'll be using it exclusively from now on or even part of the time. I now have a .62 smoothbore and a custom .50 and suspect they will get all the attention for a while.

Whichever one is in my hands at the time,Like the old song says, love the one you're with.

I like the 40 cal. In Ohio that is the maximum cal. for squirrel and the minimum for deer. So it is a very versatile cal. I limit my shots at deer to 50 yds or less because with a small caliber shot placement is absolutely required for a clean kill. Ron

I never knew Ohio had a max. cal. for squirrel. I guess I better do a better job of reading the regs. Back to my reading....

bonron, larger cal. are legal in Ohio. But, not larger than 10ga. It is on page 21 of the current Ohio Hunting regs.

well, i guess mine would be .45 for paper and long range. (1,000yrds)

deer .62

pheasants 13ga

turkey 10ga

Back