• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fat pig down with the TC big boar .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This weekend we had close to 7 inches of rain in our area of Easr Texas yesterday morning i went to my place my south property was about a foot of water from the road 50 yards in so i went to the north property to check the creek and my food plot. As i snuck closer to what was the food plott now a roto tilled pile of mud. I saw this plump pig. I have 2 big boars which i bought off the forumn this one was loaded with 100 grains pyrodex rs over powder wad .570 ball .018 lubed patch. I squezzed the trigger knocked the pig down complete pass through with about a 2 inch wound on the off side shoulder. Got the pig quartered a d at home on ice .the more i hunt pigs with muzzleloaders the more i love .58 caliber ive got bigger and smaller calibers but a .58 with a roundball cannot be beat in my opinion
1607949574701_0_20201214_063504.jpg
1607949574701_0_20201214_063504.jpg

I get a lot of runners when they are shot with .50's and .54s'.

There is something to bigger is better.

Hogs have more tenacity for life than deer.

I get a lot of runners when they are shot with .50's and .54s'.

There is something to bigger is better.

Hogs have more tenacity for life than deer.
i loved a .54 i found on the big hogs .50 and .54 using roundballs i dont get the pass throughs on hogs 200 lbs and over. Conicals drop hogs in .54 with pass throughs on big hogs using .50 with conicals the 460 gr and 600 gr no excuse blows threw hogs. .58 is the caliber i found besides my .72 kodiak double

Nice to see you got that rifle into action quickly, I recall the threads on the .58.
Yes sir when i got them i bought about 300 TOW 600 gr .58 Maxi i shot them and they shot good. the problem was cleaning them after a range session. i found patched roundballs didnt lead my bore i know i gave up some kE but i have a Cabelas Hawken that i shot a few big pigs with the hawken and .570 roundbals. ive yet to not have a pass through on big hogs with the .58

Howie,
Great story and a really nice pig!!
I talked to Jason at Rice Barrels some years ago about the choice between a .54 and a .58 barrel for a rifle I was building for elk hunting. Jason told me, based on his personal experience, the .54 was a lot like the .50, with round balls, but the .58 took it to a whole ‘nother level. Now, after having used both, I have to say he was right.

I have a .58 TC Renegade, haven't shot it yet but have 7 boxes of Maxi Hunters and Maxi Balls bought from a forum member. I'd like to get some balls though.

I have a .58 TC Renegade, haven't shot it yet but have 7 boxes of Maxi Hunters and Maxi Balls bought from a forum member. I'd like to get some balls though.
On top of the 2 big boars ive got a cabelas hawken .58 a zoli zouave in .58 and 2 renegades rebored to .58 as you can see .58 is becoming my favorite i hunt close 25 yards or so. I was a huge fan of .54s but i normally shoot conicals out of my .54s i just love what a .570 roundball does its the smallest caliber that i get consistant pass throughs on big hogs with a rou dball. Maxi balls nlow through them with very little expansion

Howie,
Are you using a .58 caliber wad, or a .62 caliber/20 gauge wad over the powder to seal the bore? Wool wads?

Most modern day hunters won't believe the killing power of a patched ball, especially the larger calibers, .54 and above. More game has been killed since the invention of firearms with lead balls, than any other projectile shape.

.58 , 630grain mini with a 5/16'' steel ball inserted into the nose, 40g 2f & fired from a Zouave is a real stopper

Sounds like I need to pick up a .58 as well. we have some pretty big hogs here that come around every so often. The main boar hog probably goes close to 400 pounds!

This weekend we had close to 7 inches of rain in our area of Easr Texas yesterday morning i went to my place my south property was about a foot of water from the road 50 yards in so i went to the north property to check the creek and my food plot. As i snuck closer to what was the food plott now a roto tilled pile of mud. I saw this plump pig. I have 2 big boars which i bought off the forumn this one was loaded with 100 grains pyrodex rs over powder wad .570 ball .018 lubed patch. I squezzed the trigger knocked the pig down complete pass through with about a 2 inch wound on the off side shoulder. Got the pig quartered a d at home on ice .the more i hunt pigs with muzzleloaders the more i love .58 caliber ive got bigger and smaller calibers but a .58 with a roundball cannot be beat in my opinionView attachment 54196View attachment 54196
I guess that you will be eatin high on the hog?

Back