• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Big Boar Hoyt Custom 58 cal ONLY FULL GUN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
22" BARREL IS SOLD AS WELL AS THE BULLETS.

Full gun with 24" 1:38 twist barrel is still up for sale.

I know many have followed the 58 cal carbine thread, from rebore, to refit of breech. What is for Sale are a 58 cal Hoyt rebore barrel that mounts into a Big Boar reinforced stock (The @SDSmlf treatment) 58 cal carbine by Mr. Hoyt in WMC stock

I am divesting myself of the 58 cal for 2 reasons. #1. I have been unable to get the accuracy results I desire at the VELOCITY that I was trying to achieve. 90 grains of FFFg T7 is the lowest I went and I went up to 120 grains with a variety of bullets and none of them gave me the external ballistics I wanted with the accuracy I want. I am sure these guns would perform admirably at a load somewhat south of the 90 gr FFFg T7 that was my velocity floor. REAL BP, FFg in something less than 90 grains would likely provide some great shooting guns. But I did not investigate nor spend time when they did not achieve my floor requirements. #2 The lack of variety and availability in commercial 58 cal conicals (I do not cast) for hunting at higher velocities.

The barrel is a 24" 1:38 twist Hoyt rebore with new breech. The Big Boar stock have had both tang screws threaded into the trigger and tang and trigger glass bedded.
The new breech plug installed works like a champ. They ship minus nipples (the nipple threads in the breech are perfect) . Insert your nipples of choice.
I will take personal check from established members, all other must send postal money order. No electronic funds transfers.

bb1.jpgbb2.jpgbb3.jpgbb4.jpgbb5.jpgbb6.jpgbb9.jpg
22" BARREL IS SOLD AS WELL AS THE BULLETS.

Full gun with 24" 1:38 twist barrel is still up for sale.

Last edited:
Yep, just these two. My 54s made the grade. I have a 22" 1:32 54cal that is shooting sub three inch groups at 100 yards with 1487fps MV with 485 gr No Excuses. I am going to shoot 525 gr No Excuses out of a 24" 1:38 twist. Both of those will be my heavy guns generating 1500 ft lbs or more of energy at 125 yards with 3" drop at 125 with a 100 yard zero

I have two other 54's 23" 1:38 and 1:32 shooting 450 grain plains bullets at 1580 fps mv and 2.25" groups and 1350 ftlbs of energy at 125. My go to Elk guns now. I have one more that is 21" 1:38 that I am shooting 425 HP grain CVA bullets out of. 3.5" groups at 100yards, but consistent and that group may be more my old eyes and the ghost ring sights than the guns capability.

As sexy as the 58 cal is (and I really wanted to make it work), at the velocities (1400 fps or more) I was pushing the bullets to get the external ballistics I wanted, they were only giving me 3" groups at 50 yards....half of what I wanted. I could get the velocity out of them, just not the accuracy. I think I stated in another post way back when...velocity is just one piece of the puzzle.

Again they may make fine 100 yard guns with a 75 yard sight-in by running something less that the velocities I was pushing them.

But not what I was striving for: 3" groups at 100 yards, drop not to exceed 3" at 125 yards and at least 1100ftlbs of energy at 125 yards in a carbine form (24" barrel or less)

The bores on these guns are 6 months old, both were polished with 500 strokes (or more) and the 24" has about 150 rounds through it, the 22" about 100 and the guns have been religiously cleaned after use (and I have only shot 777 out of them). I posted no pictures of the bores because they are in better than new condition.

So for the sake of transparency, that is the long and the short of it. I have no doubt that they would make somebody a fine dense woods hunting gun, but they didn't make my stringent demands I set for a Rocky Mountain gun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back