Fall turkey

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Illinois has a 9 day fall turkey season in some counties. I took my Grandson out last weekend, and he got a nice young turkey on the last evening. I let him shoot first, but wasn't able to get a shot at one of the flock with my flintlock.

I was able to go the last 2 days of the season. Saturday morning I had turkeys all around, but not close enough. Same thing Saturday evening. I hunted deer with my longbow Sunday morning and killed a fine doe. Sunday afternoon, I was back after the turkeys with the 12 gauge flintlock.

I set up just inside the woods a couple hundred yards from a known roosting area, hoping the turkeys would come my way. About 5:30, I spotted a flock coming across a field, heading toward me. As they came into the woods, the flock scattered, and began working toward me. Just before they came in range, they moved to my left, where I couldn't see them. I had to raise up to shoot, and of course they spotted me. I had just a second or two to pick out a bird and shoot at about 25 yards.

I could only see about 20 heads over the edge of the hill, so I picked out one and fired. At the shot, the flock scattered, and then silence. I couldn't see if I had hit a bird and thought maybe I had missed until I heard some flapping. Turned out to be a nice fat hen that will be very appreciated on Thanksgiving.

I used 80 grains 2f and an equal measure of #6 shot. I use 2 card wads over powder and 1 card wad over shot. I built my 12 gauge using a 30" barrel off a single shot modern gun.

2017 fall by okawbow, on Flickr

2017 fall by okawbow, on Flickr

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Well done! :thumbsup: Looks like the group meets at your house for Thanksgiving!! :wink: :applause:

md2020

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Great story and the gun looks good. ..please tell me how you cut and breeched that barrel.

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The barrel started as a 32" 12 ga. Single shot break open shotgun. The chamber was cut until there was less than 1/2" to the forcing cone.

The breach plug was made from 1 1/8" round steel. An 1/8" shoulder was left to mate up to the barrel. The threads are 5/8" long and I believe are 7/8" X 14 diameter. I soldered on a lug and rod thimble.

I think the choke is a little less than full. I get good patterns out to 35 yards. I've taken 6 turkeys in 4 years with this gun.

robinsroost

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Congratulations, very nicely done! :bow: That is a fine looking fowler you have made. Do you pluck your turkeys or skin them? I tried plucking, (a big PITA), now I skin them. Keep yer powder dry.......robin

Last edited by a moderator:

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Depending on how I want to cook the bird and how old it is, I skin and sometimes pluck.

I like to make turkey sausage out of the old birds and roast the young ones. I find I use all the meat when making sausage.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I like those photos. You certainly scored well.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Tsaan Wookkuh!!!
(Good Job -Comanche/Shoshone)

Man I wish I lived where there were more Turkeys!!

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!!

Latest posts