• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failure :’(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the advice on here is down right out dangerous.

Nobody should ever cut a barrel for the sake of matching it to ramrod length.

What happens when or if the wooden ramrod breaks? Shorten the barrel shorten the stock ?

Just make a new ramrod, or get a longer end or stuff the channel.

Done with this thread.
Don't recognize sarcasm when you see it?

I had an issue on my woods runner ram rod getting the tips to point in the same direction as the rod. Finally made a poor mans lathe and turned the ends down perfectly. But now my rod is about 3/4 inch shy of the end of the barrel. I like the wine cork idea and while selecting the proper cork, I think I'll take a piece of brass tube of a size suitable to the hole. Sharpen the edge of one end and press the tube down on the cork to cut a nice, round plug. Should work!

Some of the advice on here is down right out dangerous.

Nobody should ever cut a barrel for the sake of matching it to ramrod length.

What happens when or if the wooden ramrod breaks? Shorten the barrel shorten the stock ?

Just make a new ramrod, or get a longer end or stuff the channel.

Done with this thread.
SARCASM Noun: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

Again, I think the length is fine. Personally, I would not stuff anything down the ramrod hole in the stock. When you make your extra ramrod of the correct length (and you really ought to make one), this will make it stick out too far. Getting the stuffing out of the hole in the stock can be a pain. I know because I have had to do it. Somebody, for some reason, stuffed peanut-sized bits of blue closed-cell foam down the ramrod hole of an original M1842 I.N. Johnson horse pistol I worked on a little while back. They stuffed it good, too. That stuff was a b1tch to get out.

I like mine a touch short, but if it really bothers you, take an 8-32 or 10-32 round head screw, cut it down and screw it into the ferrule. It'll also keep your threads from picking up gunk.
Robin
This is the best advice I’ve seen on this thread. :thumb:

Notchy Bob

I think that the people who say it is too short are probably those who say it is short because it is cold out, or who get laughed and pointed at by women if their swim trunks fall off. A REAL man would have that rod lengthened! 😂😆😅 🤣

Sarcasm at no cost to you and the Doc is out now 😎

Lol well I’m waiting for someone to say JB weld it lol it’s starting to get like the handy guy that duct tapes everything

Whelp… tonight I attempted to add a brass tip to the bare wood ramrod of my trade gun.

I THOUGHT I made the measurements correct, but it ended up being much too short:

View attachment 288979

As you can see, the end of the tip is not flush with the muzzle. It’s bothering me tremendously. I fear I’ll have to make a new ramrod from scratch because of this.

Does this kind of stuff bother anyone else? How bad/off does this look to you?

Smokey
It looks just fine, you are fretting over nothing except it didn't turn out the way you designed. (That can sometimes be a PIA) A RR hole is usually rounded or tapered slightly at the bottom and as the RR goes in and out can cause irregularies in depth. Just punch out a piece of leather and put it in the hole. Adding another tip as suggested by hawkenhunter would also get the job done and add a little more class.
Larry
PS. Can you hit your target with that critter? 😂 That is something to fret about.

You said the other end is threaded for a worm so just make a small brass piece to screw into that threaded hole that you can remove if you need to use the worm should be easy to do and will fix your concerns but it looks fine with that said I like to have mine a little long

Smokey, on a serious note, I wouldn't say you failed. You achieved 99.999% of your goal, and that ain't too shabby. I agree with the guys who suggest stuffing a bit of something down the ramrod channel - easy, quick, perfect! Do that and the other .001% is done. Then pull a wine cork and relax.

i have two rifles with this same problem.But it never was a problem to load or clean it like it is,,much like your so dont worry it shall work,,i use a brass end that screws in the end of the ramrod tip its really called a patch puller but that what i use to clean it ,and then wrap what ever you use to swab down mine used a wet paper towel in alchol then a dry one all I ever use for years,,,
i

I am wondering if this is a joke thread…
If it isn’t and this is a serious concern, just take a bit of toilet paper or something, ball it up and shove it down the ramrod hole. Then your issue will be solved and things will all be fine again.
I wondered too if this is some sort of spoof thread…..
If this were a museum quality John Bivens made duplicate or an ornate museum grade presentation piece…then yeah, redo the ramrod…..

Are there muzzleloader psychologists?….talk this dilemma over with your therapist….perhaps the problem has nothing to do with the ramrod.

After having given this much deep thinking I have come to the conclusion that the gap in question is there to serve the valuable purpose of providing clearance for the patch knife when cutting patches at the muzzle. There's not much worse than dulling a razor sharp patch knife on a protruding ramrod end.

Back