• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraving & Stock Carving Templates

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule ear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
FYI - there has been some threads recently about using templates and transfers for stock carving and engraving. Here is some info that just may be useful to those so inclined.
I was in a Rockler's store yesterday and found a book, "Gunstock Carving" by Bill Janney. ISBN 1-56523-166-X Available from the publisher, also, Fox Books, 1970 Broad St., East Petersburg, PA 17520, $19.95 + $3.00 S&H. The Publishers correct name is: Fox Chapel Publishing. Address is the same. www.foxchapelpublishing.com
While his book emphasizes high-speed rotary carving (??PC??? :haha:), there are a few good tips. 1.) He suggests photocopying the design onto "self-adhesive transfer paper." Those who own or have access to scanners scanner/printers or copiers that can reduce and enlarge may find this method effective for their needs. He lists the source for the self-adhesive transfer paper as: Graphic Transfer, 4011 Tropicaire Dr., Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406, 1-866-4532652, www.graphictransfer.net. I have not tried to find the graphic transfer material locally, nor have I visited their web-site yet.
2.) The book also has several animal drawings and scroll designs that could be used as-is or modified to suit the user. There are other sources of patterns, as we all know.
While there are other ways of transfering a two dimensional drawing onto a three dimensional surface, Janny's method seems to be an efficient and effective method. As I implied, I have no experiance with this new-to-me technique and would be interested to hear of other's experiences.
I also visited a craft store with the wife yesterday and found a rotary proportioning scale that can guide your reducing and enlarging. Sold for about $5.00.
Perhaps this info can help some of you!

thanks fer the link....i'm looking to carve a whitetail buck where the patch box goes on my lancaster and some other spots on the stock :thumbsup:................bob

i'm looking to carve a whitetail buck where the patch box goes on my lancaster and some other spots on the stock

Bob- If you can find old leathercraft carving templates, there are a load of whitetail patterns out there. I can take a look in the shop later tonight to see what I have. I'll post some if/when I find them.

For pattern transfer, you can use a laser printer, print the image reversed and iron the toner off the paper to the wood. Works best on a semi-flat surface, and don't get caught using the good iron :)

vic

Just buy carpet tape at Walmart. Slap it on the back of your drawing and cut it out. Remove the backing and stick it on. :peace:

Back