• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraving and carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for comments and reviews of the following works for engraving and carving instruction.

(1) Peter Alexander's "The Gunsmith of Greenville County"

(2)American Pioneer Video "Relief Carving a Kentucky Rifle"

(3)American Pioneer Video "Engraving a Kentucky Rifle"

(4) Beginning Engraving on DVD,The Gunsmith's Apprentice Series, by Jack Brooks sold at Track of the Wolf

(5) Beginning Carving on DVD The Gunsmith's Apprentice Series, by Jack Brooks sold at Track of the Wolf

Thanks

Forget Alexanders book.
All those videos are good, have seen all of them.
By the way the videos can be rented at
Smartflix

I have the Kentucky Rifle relief carving video done by Wallce Gusler. I have watched it several times and would judge it about as best as is available. Wallace is so good at this aspect of rifle building that he makes it look deceptively easy. About half of the video is spent on sharpening gouges and other carving tools.

fitter said:
Forget Alexanders book.
All those videos are good, have seen all of them.
By the way the videos can be rented at
Smartflix

Rented both of Jack Brooks' "Beginning Engraving" and Beginning Carving" and would recommend both.

Thanks for the link fitter.

There just isn't much in Alexander's book on carving and engraving. It's a good reference on how to build a kentucky rifle, but it doesn't really tell you the finer details concerning engraving and carving in my opinion.

To get advice on those topics, it would be better to get a reference that is specific to those skills.

Although most of the book deals with modern rifles, GUNSMITHING TIPS & PROJECTS by Dave Wolfe can be a valuable book for black powder builders.

It is a collection of various articles written by gunsmiths perhaps the one of most interest to black powder muzzleloader builders being, John Bivins.

Among the illustrated articles by Bivins is Basic Gunstocking and the Flintlock Rifle Part 1 and 2, Relief Carving the Gunstock, Advanced Gun-Stock Carving part 1 and 2, Gunstock Inlays part 1 and 2, The Damp-Box, Investment Casting, METAL FINISHES for the CUSTOM GUNSMITH, Precision Assembly of LOCK KITS, THE FORGE WELDED RIFLE BARREL part 1 and 2, Restoring Antique Firearms part 1, 2 and 3.

Bedding with EPOXY by Neal Knox, and several other good articles on blueing with modern cold blues and making your #1 Ruger ....

This is an excellent book and anyone who is serious about making longrifles should have it.

Midway USA has it for about $18 and it is worth every cent.

Well, according to Midway the book is discontinued but I'm sure there are copies out there if you folks google or yahoo it.

Back