• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraved Name on Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I often see the builder's name engraved on the barrel. What is the preferred method to do this? Do I need to find an engraver? Do I need to learn to engrave (a certain fail!)? This seems so common that there may be a best way to get this done.

Thanks!

A little 2D engraver is used a lot on a flat surface. And there should be nearby people that do that work. But if the barrel is round then it is more involved.

No, It is a simple 2 dimension engraving machine that is used to engrave name tags and other things like plates for trophies. It uses fonts to guide the machine and uses a small cutter to actually cut the metal.
This is a picture of a older engraver.
engraver.jpg

I only did it to one rifle I built and I used gravers but did it in block letters, not script. The last rifle I scratched it on the bottom of the barrel.

Most of the early gunsmiths didn't put their names on the rifles before the Revolutionary War. Later some engraved their names some just engraved their initials. Others used stamps to put their initials or even their names. Some had fancier stamps to put their names and other info. No one way to do it.

If you can write then engraving a name isn’t much more difficult. The tools I use are a small hammer a pencil and a homemade graver. Write on the barrel what you want in the style you like. Then cut simple shallow lines following your marks. Most of the old timers didn’t do bank note quality work, keep it simple.
001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I have used letter punches on the bottom of my barrels, unseen beneath the stock but also took one of my barrels (octagon) to a trophy engraving shop that did a great job engraving my name on top of the barrel.............................Daniel

I use a set of stamps on the bottom of the barrel. once my ability to build a rifle good enough I may sign the top of the barrel. with a hammer and chisel it is not that difficult to engrave.

Attachments

• 20230701_182125.jpg
    20230701_182125.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
If you can write then engraving a name isn’t much more difficult. The tools I use are a small hammer a pencil and a homemade graver. Write on the barrel what you want in the style you like. Then cut simple shallow lines following your marks. Most of the old timers didn’t do bank note quality work, keep it simple.
001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
How and what did you use to make your graver? Any photos?

How and what did you use to make your graver? Any photos?
A piece of tool steel, chisel or punch will work. Forge file and grind to a usable shape then stone the angles. Books and internet can suggest the angles to sharpen to. For this simple job you’ll quickly find what works on the steel used on barrels. Our finer craftsman here are probably appalled by this crude effort but it does work.
IMG_0454 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Hi, I often see the builder's name engraved on the barrel. What is the preferred method to do this? Do I need to find an engraver? Do I need to learn to engrave (a certain fail!)? This seems so common that there may be a best way to get this done.

Thanks!
I engrave my initials so they can be read from the lock side. I use a hand engraver and a tap hammer. Semper Fi.

IMG_5062.JPG

For round barrels acid etching will work well. Basically you are preparing us template which you tape to the barrel then swab on the acid solution that etches the lettering or design. For deeper etching you would use multiple acid applications. Google ”etch metal” and there is lots of instrucyional material

A piece of tool steel, chisel or punch will work. Forge file and grind to a usable shape then stone the angles. Books and internet can suggest the angles to sharpen to. For this simple job you’ll quickly find what works on the steel used on barrels. Our finer craftsman here are probably appalled by this crude effort but it does work.
IMG_0454 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
I like that!! I have been looking at giving it a whirl!

If you can build a gun , you can learn to use simple engravers. To remove the sharp little shavings that rise up sometimes at the end of a cut , a dremel wire wheel made of that red or green scrubbing fiber , that I can't remember the name of , works wonders , and gives the engraving a desirable slightly aged look. Thirty yrs. ago , I found an old original hand made engraver , made from a 1/4 " square hand wrought nail that is usable , but modern ones work better.

Latest posts

Back