• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraved 1814 Naval Theme Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been a while since I made a naval themed powder horn and I thought that it was time again to do so. The horn construction itself is a fairly simple build, as most powder horns of the time where. No fancy carving of the throat area and spout and engraving, if any, was very simple homespun marks and lines in nature,...but occasionally an example would become a little special and professionally engraved for a person, or maybe a one time sailor or Naval office who wanted a special horn to tell his past and help him remember his days at sea or another part of his life. _____ This is such a powder horn.

Thank you and Happy New Year,
Rick

USS AMERICA with chain and seaweed vining engraving. Spout stopper not shown.

Reverse side with American Shield (Jack).

Deck Cannon

Another great one, wow! I like what you did with the chain detail. Beautiful as always. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And Merry Christmas too.

LOVE that carronade and the ship looks great as well. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

OK, ok, just HAVE to ask, have you finished the stopper or are you still working on it?

Have no problem admitting I appreciate and am envious of folks who can scrimshand like you.

The oldest artifact in the Marine Corps Museum is a F&I Period Style Powder Horn used by Continental Marines during the AWI. It has a very amateurishly scrimshanded Marine Officer on it, which I doubt I could do even that good of a job. So I appreciate you sharing your art with us.

Gus

To tell you the truth. I forgot it in the shop when I took this horn inside the house to photograph and we were having a rain and snow event going on , so I didn't want to go back outside. .....That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rick :rotf:

horner75 said:
To tell you the truth. I forgot it in the shop when I took this horn inside the house to photograph and we were having a rain and snow event going on , so I didn't want to go back outside. .....That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rick :rotf:

I can VERY much appreciate that! :rotf:

Would love to see the stopper when you can get back out to the shop.

Gus

Gus,
Sorry, but this horn has been shipped to a friend in Ohio. I didn't remember to photograph it again with the stopper before it was out of the door and on it's way. My bad! :redface:

Rick :doh:

Latest posts

Back