• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English style knife?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought this knife a while back and am wondering if this would be called an English style trade knife or French style or neither. Anyone reconise the makers mark?
20221102_145731.jpg
20221102_144636.jpg
20221102_144947.jpg
20221102_144824.jpg

English style trade knife or French style or neither
Depending in the time period being considered,,,, I'd have to say, neither.

I recognize the mark. I have to knives with it,,,, sold as a pair and were nearly identical before I rehandled one if them. At the moment, I am spacing out on the name of the maker that the mark goes with....
I want to say Jeff White,,, but that may be incorrect.

If your knife is evenly ground, one sides grind from flat to edge compared to the other,,, it should take a good edge and serve you well regardless of historical authenticity. One of my pair is very even and will take and hold a razor edge easily. The other, the grind isn't the same on both sides and it is far more difficult to sharpen up to my standards.

I won a knife VERY similar to yours many moons ago and it was junk - would not cut butter. I made a letter opener out of it - and it is a poor letter opener that!

Any knife made from flat stock, with the same spine thickness from handle to the grind at the tip, and just an edge grind in the body, resembles nothing from the flintlock period.

They were forged. They were tapered spine to edge and handle to tip.

If it's curly maple you can pretty much pencil in that it's not historically correct. Curly maple is used by contemporary makers. I almost bought a Jeff White knife a while back, ended up deciding I wanted something historically correct. Jeff Wgitew "French" knives may be sharp and functional but the only thing they share with french trade knives is the word french in the name.

It is a nice looking knife and I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Latest posts

Back