• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enfield lock ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a rifle that looks like a 3 band enfield, it says Parker-Hale LTD.Birmingham England on the barrel,on the lock plate behind the hammer is a crown with P~H under it, in front of the hammer reads 1853 with ENFIELD under it. This is all the markings on the lock. Can anyone idifity manfacuture of this rifle by only the lock markings ?? Does anyone have a lock marked like this ?? thanks

You have a Parker-Hale Enfield recreation. It should have a pair of concentric circles on the right side of the stock butt with the words "PARKER HALE LTD" stamped into it.

It may be one of the original PH recreations, and the marking on the barrel would seem to indicate that it is. It should have a crown with the letters "BP" stamped on the top of the breech.
There is a chanch that it also is one of the newer rifles made in Italy with an English barrel as the newly made ones (I've heard) are made that way.

If it is one of the older recreations, it is as close to an original as things get. They went so far as to use the original guaging tools when they made these rifles.

The PH Enfield is judged to be one of the finest replicas made and it usually brings a price to match.

zonie :)

You obviously have a Parker-Hale reproduction of the Enfield rifle musket. The date 1853 is unusual for most of the repros I've seen. Most companies put the dates 1861 or 1862 on their locks, at least the ones that I've handled. The P-H under the crown is a sure tip-off that it is a Parker-Hale. As for date of manufacture, I'm not sure. There may be a difference in the dies used in stamping the locks depending on the year made. The 1853 date stamp may have been used only in certain years as well. David Minshall could probably be of help with this. I'm sure he will see this post soon. You have made a good purchase. Parker-Hale made an excellent reproduction of the Enfield. I have an early Whitworth and although it had led a rough life, the quality still shows through.
:thumbsup:

Zonie said "You have a Parker-Hale Enfield recreation. It should have a pair of concentric circles on the right side of the stock butt with the words "PARKER HALE LTD" stamped into it." It does have this mark ! It is pressed into the wood.
Other than a serial no., there are no other markings! The serial # is on left on breech, next to stock, Above it, looks almost like something has been removed, and reblued ??

I have spent hours serceing internet, can not find another lock marked with "1853 with ENFIELD under it." This makes me wonder ?? Could it have been DEFARBED, and proof marks removed ??

KanawhaRanger said:
David Minshall could probably be of help with this.

I posted all I could add in what appears to be an earlier posting about the same rifle.[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/199069/[/url]

From the serial number it appears to be late a production 'first generation' Parker-Hale P/53 Rifle Musket.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at my Enfield and it shows all the marking mentioned above except the lock plate in front of the hammer. There it is marked 1858 over Enfield Could your's be a bad or light stamp of 1858 instead of 1853?? My enfield was purchased in about 1973 or 74
Fox :thumbsup

Good deep stamp 1853. This is what is strange! This can not be the only one markwd like this! Do they ever misstamp locks??

My Parker Hale 3 band Enfield also has, very clearly marked on the lock ahead of the hammer:
"1853
ENFIELD"

The three is the type with a horizontal top so there is no way it could be a mis-struck eight.

Behind the hammer is a large crown about 5/16 inch high X 1/2 inch wide under which is stamped "P-H"

I believe this rifle is one of the First generation rifles totally made in England because I've had it about 6 years and the brass was naturally aged to the nice patina that brass gets from being around for years back when I bought it.

In addition to the "PARKER-HALE LTD. BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND" on the top of the barrel about 5 inches behind the rear sight is, as I mentioned above the crown over BP English proof mark. On the tang, just ahead of the rear tang screw is a very small, poorly struck crown over what appears to be a B. I believe this was supposed to be over a BP.

It's serial number is 301X if that's any help. :)

Just as a side note, my Parker Hale 2 band and Musketoon also have the same markings (although a bit clearer on the tang).

The 2 band lock is marked:
ENFIELD
ahead of the hammer.

The Musketoon is marked:
ENFIELD
ahead of the hammer
All three guns have the same large crown over P-H behind the hammer.

I might mention, none of these guns have a proof mark marked on the lock. This makes sense because only the barrel is proofed.

zonie :)

Zonie, you did fanastic!!! No more questions untill time to load and shoot, few months Thanks, and have a great week.

Back