• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Eel skin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In several period documents the writer references the use of eel skin, natives used it to tie up their scalp locks and natives and frontiersmen used it for leg ties. I have looked before and never found any, does any one know a source for suitable eel skin????

@hawkenhunter50 - Spent my summers as a kid living along the Delaware River on the PA side halfway between Skinner's Falls and Narrowsburg. There was an eel trap just above our house that I fished near over many summers. It was interesting to see the owner come out to clear the trap of eels so he could get them to market. Great memory from my youth! Thanks for posting that article.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

@hawkenhunter50 - Spent my summers as a kid living along the Delaware River on the PA side halfway between Skinner's Falls and Narrowsburg. There was an eel trap just above our house that I fished near over many summers. It was interesting to see the owner come out to clear the trap of eels so he could get them to market. Great memory from my youth! Thanks for posting that article.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
One of my favorite day floats is from Callicoon to Skinners Falls. It is a beautiful river. Just went to supper last night in Barrysville at the restaurant At Rivers Edge. Some pretty neat history also at the river during the American Revolution at the battle of Minisink.

So I have bought some eel skin off of ebay, still not sure what I am going to do with it.

I already have some quilled leg ties that are very nice so I may make a hat band out of it, I will see what it looks like when it arrives and try to put it to good use.

Thanks to all for your suggestions on sources......

Here's a suggestion I'd use.
I use alot of large eels for catfishing.

Don't mean to be rude or gross, but perhaps a good bait shop may have some large eels? If so, grab em by head, with a wet rag. Chop off head and skin em. That skin is thin but very very tough. I'd dry it out with salt, I'm guess how the Indians or old timers did it?. Wish I knew ya wanted some...be easy for me to do for you..alway use big eels for big cats!

Borax may work too?

Do not know if you really want eel skin. I have a couple of billfolds from rayskin. Wear like iron, and I imagine a sword/dagger grip made of it would be excellent. Even blood doused would offer a good hold.

Do not know if you really want eel skin. I have a couple of billfolds from rayskin. Wear like iron, and I imagine a sword/dagger grip made of it would be excellent. Even blood doused would offer a good hold.
Yes I really want eel skin, first hand accounts document the use of eel skin for leg ties and tying up scalplocks etc. I have not read of the use of rayskin being used in the French controlled areas in any documentation.
This would include the Mississippi valley, Missouri water shed, Great Lakes, Canada and the lower part of the Ohio river valley.

Latest posts

Back