• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Edward Alonzo Selden

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As Tac said, here's the rifle. I believe it to be .45 cal. The rifling is very good and a light down the bore showed no major flaws. There is game bird engraving on the lock and some nice detail on the ramrod pipes. Set triggers of course and looking down the sight tube shows a bead-on-post reticle, no magnification.

I forgot to mention that the barrel is 1-3/16" wide and 1/2" across the flats and on the muzzle just in front of the ramrod tip is the number "80". Any thoughts?

Interesting - in the limited information in Carey's book on American Firearms Makers he only has Selden as a maker of "percussion hunting rifles and shotguns". He does give a date of 1875 for his shop in New York.

I can't see clearly from the pictures, but does the file look like it should have a false muzzle/bullet starter? There may be 4 holes drilled in the end of the barrel.

David

I know about the false muzzle, but I never knew how they were attached. There are no holes in the face of the muzzle, but that number "80" has me puzzled.

Sent to me by a friend; the following is excerpted, and paraphrased from: “The New York State Firearms Trade”, by H.J. Swinney, compiled by Tom Rowe:

Alonzo Selden, is listed in US Census of 1870 as Selden, Alonzo, age 75, occupation gunsmith, and as being born in Vermont. It is believed he also worked as a gunsmith in Dorset Vermont from 1845-1847. Alonzo Selden relocated to Whitehall, NY and is shown as being a gunsmith there from 1849 to 1871. He is believed to have died around 1876.

= = =

I note the barrel is engraved A. Selden as per above information.

Edward Alonzo Selden identifed in the other cited forum does not appear to be the same person.

David

Finally got off my butt and used my calipers to check the bore. It's .40 cal, not .45 as I'd thought. My stupidity for making the assumption. Put it down to a senior moment. Also, the patch box and trigger guard appear to be German silver. I'm resisting an overwhelming temptation to remove and polish them. It would make it more visually appealing, but would it hurt the value? I've put it up for sale on a couple of sites. I'm too old to enter into a whole new shooting discipline and my eyes are not good enough to shoot open sights anymore.

UPDATE: Well, I was talking to a gentleman who may have solved one of the puzzles I had regarding the rifle. There is a number "80" stamped on the muzzle just above the ramrod. He told me that it means 80 balls to the pound which would make it .39 caliber. My micrometer confirms the bore diameter at .39, so I assume the information was correct. Any other knowledgeable input would be more than welcome.

Attachments

• percussion lock target rifle.jpg
    percussion lock target rifle.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN1232.JPG
    DSCN1232.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 100
Thank you, but I know that as attractive as it would look, the collectors value would be drastically cut. As I said, I'm tempted, but I'm not stupid.

Isn't it just??? Other than the crack in the stock, it's in lovely shape. I put a bore light down the barrel and it's incredibly nice with no pitting or fouling. I've never seen a black powder arm so well maintained. I'm wondering if it would be of interest to perhaps a civil war re-enactor who wished to play the role of sniper.

I think anyone would be interested, and proud to own that rifle! It would be awesome to shoot it at different get togethers.

I am curious though as to the availability of .39 cal. ball or moulds for them. Would a shooter use .38 cal. bullets or ball with either a linen or paper patch?

Latest posts

Back