• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eating Skunk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think I want to eat skunk or possum. My dad ate possum and said it was bad.

I can tell you all from experience being around a captive skunk, that they do have a distinct odor, but it's not bad at all. This particular one has been descented, and gets a little musky after a couple weeks. If any of you have been around a ferret that some people keep as pets, you know exactly what I'm talking about. This makes me believe that they really wouldn't smell if you could dispatch it without it spraying, and then remove the scent glands. I would personally eat one if I needed to, but cant say it would be my first choice due to the chance of getting sprayed.

Another way to prevent getting sprayed, is if you can tuck its tail down between its legs as they will not spray themselves. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want to attempt to hold a live WILD skunk in this manner as it would put you too close to their teeth. And I can tell you all from personal experience that they have a bite and dont like letting go once they grab a hold of you. (I'm just glad this one has all it's shots and I know is very healthy.)

I have eaten Mink and Ottewr which atre from the same family and are a bit oderous and have not tasted the scent in the meat they were lean which is typical to most wild game I did not really care much for it but it would be better than starving, Beaver is much better table fare, I am not certain there is a guaranteed way to take a skunk without him letting loose. I always shot them from a distance and retreived the trap later, I let it all soak in water if some was handy.

I have read that way back ????? say 300 yrs some of the eastern tribes loved eating skunk, BUT , didn't like the taste of turkey----- what----can this be true??? :surrender:

sidelock said:
I have read that way back ????? say 300 yrs some of the eastern tribes loved eating skunk, BUT , didn't like the taste of turkey----- what----can this be true??? :surrender:
Depends on the neighborhood. :wink:

To kill a skunk without being victim to the spray:

.22LR through the lungs ( not the heart ). as the lungs fill with blood the animal will passively go to sleep and die. headshots will always result in a spray.

the only surefire way of cleaning off the spray, which is an oil ( water based solutions will not work, such ass tomato juice and what not ) is gasoline or some other extremely harsh solvent. wash first with gasoline and then with liquid soap. follow up with some lotion.

-Treekiller

Try this before you gas your self Thomask702, i guarantee it to work :grin:

1 quart 3 % hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish soap
Mix ingredients and wash affected objects.

Sounds like a much SAFER alternative to gasoline and coming from a source with a name like Skunk Skinner, I'd give his solution a try FIRST!

Great tip that I'll try and memorize. Just wondering, have you ever tried it on a dog ? I got a really good English Setter named MOSES. He's good with children and stays in the house. He don't bother cats, dogs, or most people. But he has a complete disdain for a skunk. I think you and him would be good friends. :thumbsup:

I use this recipe on the skunk hides to get the odor out. Should work on a dog, add a half gallon of water to the mix. I always rinsed the hide with cold water after the wash, Moses might like to get the peroxide out of his fur :grin:

We have a store here in town that sells a product called "Skunk-Off" shampoo. It is made for use on dogs. A few years ago when I first started trapping, I caught a pickup load of skunks. I was keeping track until I hit 30 and then I just quit counting! All of this was within a one square mile area, too. Needless to say, I got lots of skunk scent on me getting these critters out of my traps and this "Skunk-Off" really got rid of the smell!

I was always told to shoot them in the head to avoid getting sprayed, but from the sound of things that is the worst advice ever! I'll try shooting the next one throuth the lungs, but I don't think I will eat one in the near future!! :wink:

My great grandmother was born before the great depression, when it hit her family was broke, her mother and grandmother died within 24hrs of eachother, They didnt have much money and they ate anything, She said the technique they used was to shoot it in the armpit then when you started to clean it tie off the stink pouch it had because if that burst then the meat was of no use. I would hate to eat skunk personaly but thought this pertained to this thred! :hatsoff:

Back