• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
Or my idea of one anyway. :wink:
38" Cloerain "D" .54 cal barrel. Chambers bent siler lock, Davis triggers Goehring trigger guard, kind of home made 2 1/4 X 5" buttplate.
I wanted to make an early gun that other than being stocked in maple could have been stocked in contenental Europe, pre 1760. Other than unbridleing the frizzen, I think I may have accomplished my goal, but I'm open for suggestions or conversation on the subject. Buttplate pictures are still on the way, my batteries died before I got that far. :barf:
>
Keep clicking on the picture untill they are full sized.....

Another great job Mike, looking forward to more pics. By "unbridling the frizzen" do you mean that you intend to do that or will you leave it as it is?

First let me say its a very nice looking rifle., very nice job. That being said with all due respect, the only things I notice is first the Side Plate. Most of the early rifles I have seen and epically ones from Europe would have had more of a Fowler style of side plate. Next I would have gone with a larger caliber, maybe a .58 or a .62 but that would be the only thing I would change. Your right about the bridle on the frizzen too. I was going to use that lock on my current project but ended up swapping it out for an Chambers Early Germanic Lock instead. The lock you used dose look a lot like the one on the E. Marshall/Christian Springs rifle though, and that one has a bridle and is early.
Enough said, Very nice job,
Jeff :thumbsup:

I think you have captured the essence of the early rifle Mike based on what we do know.

Mike,I really like this gun. I couldn't see the cheek side very well but it appears to have some early simple carving.I particularly liked the guard and the nice early high comb and cheek piece.It is very reminiscent of my old early rifle and has a good early Reading{No.19}feel to it.I read the post about the "fowler guards,caliber,and the Marshall lock"{which just happens to date from the early 1770's} and I frankly don't have a clue as to what he is talking about.

It's just a great gun all the way around.
Tom Patton

Okwaho said:
Mike,I really like this gun. I couldn't see the cheek side very well but it appears to have some early simple carving.I particularly liked the guard and the nice early high comb and cheek piece.It is very reminiscent of my old early rifle and has a good early Reading{No.19}feel to it.I read the post about the "fowler guards,caliber,and the Marshall lock"{which just happens to date from the early 1770's} and I frankly don't have a clue as to what he is talking about.

It's just a great gun all the way around.
Tom Patton
All I was saying was that most of the Early Rifles that use that style of butt plate have a larger or Fowler style of side plate, and that most of the early rifles were of a larger caliber. And as to the lock it was just a general observation as to the style of it. I have not see that the Marshall was dated to the 1770's most of what I find dates it earlier. If I'm wrong, and I could very well be, would you let us know your source for the 1770's date?
Just my opinion, he ask, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Jeff

Interesting that you brought the buttstock molding all of the way up to the trigger. Did you do that based on some early gun reference or just cause it looks really good?? I ask cause I am starting on a Peter Berry from the 1790s and that is reported to be one of his rather unique features.

I really like the gun. the angle of the butt plate to the comb is different than what I had expected...and I really like the way it looks.

I really do appreciate your sharing your work. Will you be coming to Dixon's this year?

Back