• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Durs Egg Ferguson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRussell

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The Ferguson - a reprise.

Here's a photo of the lock of the Ferguson by Durs Egg (from "Royal Sporting Guns at Windsor" by H.L. Blackmore).

Does anyone know how the safety worked? There is a hole visible in the face of the frizzen, and a corresponding hole in the flash guard where apparently a pin came forth to engage the frizzen and lock it shut, while no doubt the tumbler was locked also.

What operated it? There is no visible gizmo to push on, that I can see. Maybe on the other side of the gun?

Fergusonsml.jpg

Based on other ones I've seen illustrations of, I'd suspect that the silver face behind the cock is the slider, with a fairly prominent nose.

Joel

I am having a very similar gun built, the silver face will work the sliding safty , as we believe the orriginal did . mine will have the more conventional sliding safty inners with the silver face in place of the metal slider but the lock will look pretty identical , has the same gold inlays, but a Bronze screw, full stock with a copy of the same silver side plate and French style But plate .

Looks like if the face is the slider, then it works a lever so that pulling the face back pushed the locking pin forward into the frizzen. Also, it could not move back far on the tapered lock plate without overhanging the edges, so the lever would seem to have provided some amplification of the movement (and mechanical disadvantage).

I gather your repro will not have the pin locking the frizzen?

It's interesting that the lockplate seems to be sculpted to match the cock with it fully down. Normally the form of the cock flows into the lockplate, or is outlined with engraving, with it at half-bent. Unfortunately this photo doesn't show what Egg did as far as making the half-bent postion look good. What are you going to do with the lockplate for half-bent?

I assume you are not going to put the touch hole so low in the pan :shake:

I had replied to this and all of a sudden the entire reply dissapeard ? If it shows up somewhere that is why a double reply. The lockplate we are using is close to the orriginal but a variation not exact . The orriginal has a rounded type lock plate, ours is flat . The entire gun is a variation as I do not want or like the two piece stock of the orriginal nor do I want the bayonet lug. I sent the question on the half bent position and engraving to Master Buildder Ron Scott who wanted to see the site and post. I gave it to him. I myself dont really see it . I am not sure most anyone would look at this lock and see a flaw in the engraving in relation to half cock or full cock. The engraving we will use will look very similar. We will have all of the gold work on lock and barrel , orriginal side plate as we have a picture of that , the gun will be a gracful full stock , the breechplug in mine is Navel Bronze and I have the correct complex rear site that is a combination of peep site and open site . It will have a silver French type scalloped butt plate similar to the one in the picture we have of the orriginal. We have no pics of the cheek piece side .

I hope you post photos when it's done so we can all drool over it :hatsoff:

Back