• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dunlaps new Fowling gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
Several people have asked questions about Dunlaps new kit on this forum. I just finished one up for him and thought there would be some intrest.
The 1/2 stock is curly ash and the mounts are steel. It has a 37" oct.rnd barrel in 12 bore by Rice and has a hooked breech. The lock is an early ketland by Chambers. The pull is 14" and it weighs about 8 1/2 to 8 3/4 lbs.
Dunlaps new kit

Mike,Nice job, I really like everything about that gun.If you have time could you give me a little about the where and when of this gun.Thanks for the info.

Prairieofthedog said:
Mike,Nice job, I really like everything about that gun.If you have time could you give me a little about the where and when of this gun.Thanks for the info.
The original is english ca. mid 1780's. It is stocked in walnut an 6 bore. Here are some pictures of the original.
Robbins Fowling gun

Mike,Thanks for the info.That looks like the perfect gun for Iowa Gobblers!If I was to use a gun like that for turkey hunting do most people get these guns jug choked or not? Sorry I just don't know a whole lot about the smoothies and Fowlers yet.I think with it's shorter barrel it would be perfect in the woods.

Very cool, beautiful work.

So Mike, does this mean Rice is going into production of octagon to round barrels?

Bruce Everhart

Grey Whiskers said:
Nice. Your antiquing of the metal is great. :thumbsup:
I take it that's supposed to be a 16 bore?
GW
The original is a 6......or a 5 depending how you measure it. It's a BIG bore.
Wayne offers his kit in 10 or 12 bore.

Prairieofthedog said:
Mike,Thanks for the info.That looks like the perfect gun for Iowa Gobblers!If I was to use a gun like that for turkey hunting do most people get these guns jug choked or not? Sorry I just don't know a whole lot about the smoothies and Fowlers yet.I think with it's shorter barrel it would be perfect in the woods.
If I were going to hunt turkeys with it I'd have it jugged.

Longsmoke said:

So Mike, does this mean Rice is going into production of octagon to round barrels?

Bruce Everhart
I talked to Wayne a few days ago and he told me he had Rice run him 40 barrels for this gun so they would set up a pattern for their CNC machine. Minimum order sort of thing. I don't know if they offer any other oct/rnd barrels or not.

Very cool great work Mike Its a great looking gun love the pics of the Robbins gun.

Mike Brooks said:
Longsmoke said:

Bruce Everhart
I talked to Wayne a few days ago and he told me he had Rice run him 40 barrels for this gun so they would set up a pattern for their CNC machine. Minimum order sort of thing. I don't know if they offer any other oct/rnd barrels or not.

Last I heard from Rice is a no go. He ran that minimum off for Wayne because Wayne would not do the kit without using Rice barrels. You cannot get the barrels from anyone but Wayne.
Maybe something has changed since Rice upgraded machinery but I have not heard. This run of 40 barrels was done a couple of years ago.

Mike, looks great. :thumbsup:
I am surprised Wayne wanted the 12 bore. Maybe he had more of them in stock?

Your 307th gun...you're the most prolific builder today and your quality is excellent. Very difficult to put the 2 together. Why was ash chosen by Wayne? Beautiful fowler....Fred

flehto said:
Your 307th gun...you're the most prolific builder today and your quality is excellent. Very difficult to put the 2 together. Why was ash chosen by Wayne? Beautiful fowler....Fred
Thanks Fred. Wayne said he'd seen several originals like this in ash over the years and said he'd like to have one done in ash.

Dave Person said:
Hi Mike,
Very nice and unusual gun. You certainly have the English style down to a science.

dave
Thanks Dave. I'm off to conquer the French gun style next. :grin:

Back