• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dummy Rounds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threepdr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a pic of dummy rounds that I made for my three pounder. I'll use these when doing eductational programs to the public.

The quilted grape has twelve 1 1/8 inch iron balls. It has been varnished to tighten it and seal it. I think the originals were probably either tarred or coated in asphaltum to seal them and keep the iron from rusting. I've queried the West Point Museum on this, as they have an orginal stand in thier collection.

The solid shot is strapped to wood sabot and attached to a wool flannel powder bag. The bag represents about 12 oz of powder but is filled with corn cob media. It is packed very tight and ridged.

Mark Hubbs
Georgia Refugees and First Cont Artillery

9sb3mf.jpg

Very nice, I have seen many Civil War rounds and your's looks like just fine... :blue:

On your grape-shot, when weaving it:

Did you start from the base and work to the top? (I see it is tied off at the top, but you could have started there, worked down and then back up)

Is it bound with heavy cord or wire?

How many strands (pieces) is the cord or wire?

Musketman,

I started with cord tied off just below the bottom tier. Im not sure it could be done in reverse order. I used hemp cord purchased from the craft section at Wal-Mart. It is single strand about 3/32 in diameter or so. Some is sending me a few pages from a artillery ammo manual from the early 1830s. It is supposed to have drawings for construction of all sizes of quilted grape. I'll make another based on those drawings and see how it comes out.

I wish I had the resources to try some amo like this in my
24pdr. Maybe build a cinder block brick wall and see if a ball would punch through. Then try knocking down the whole wall with a load of grapeshot. Food for thought!?

Back