• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dumb question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of pattern can I expect with a 28 ga. compared to a 20 ga. I would guess not as wide,(less shot) I know a lot depends on loads, but in general would a 28 ga. give a tighter pattern than a 20 ga.? Talking small game hunting at a max. of 25 yards. flinch

All things being equal, the size of the pattern will be the same, but the density will decrease more with the 28 than with the 20 over increasing distance. But if you make sure to hit everything you shoot at with the center of the pattern every time, the differences will be minor. :wink:

All other things being equal, ie. same powder and shot load, both guns being cylinder bore, in theory the 28 should hold a tighter pattern due to the smaller diameter of the bore. Would you be able to demonstrate the difference? well thats a horse of another color. I think in the end it comes down to way to many variables to say for sure. All I can say for sure is that the 28 IMHO is the more versatile only because the smaller bore allows smaller charges for small game,ie. less powder and shot used to accomplishn the same end, dead tree rats and bunnies. In the end it all comes down to personal preference.

grzrob said:
There is no such thing as a stupid question!

I've taught at the college level for 25+ years, and yes, there IS such as thing as a stupid question, trust me! :wink:

The light 20 gauge load in a 28 gauge smoothbore will perform similar too the performance in a 20 gauge. There will be a slight opening of the pattern due to the longer lenght of the 28 gauge shot column. There will be more shot being deformed as the shot goes down the barrel.

I'm sorry but when I get asked the same question for the 5th or 6th time by the same person and the answer is the same and they clearly understood the answer, it's a clear contender for being a dumb/stupid question

I don't know about dumb, stupid questions but there sure as he__ are such things as dumb, stupid answers. :stir:

Course, now, I'm willing to stand corrected if such is the case. :surrender:

Greetings,

I'll kick my 3 cents (inflation) worth in... Used a T/C .56 smoothbore for my "28" gauge. Using 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 dram loads (roughly 60 to 70gr of 3Fg) and the rough equivalent of #6 shot (or around an ounce). I had no problems out to 30yds, and that's with a "cylinder bore" gun. (I could also use roundball on deer out to about 60yds, 'cause it had rifle sights on it. Anyhow, game was just as dead as with my modern 20. (That's with field loads.)

Only "woosht" it was a little 5 1/2 lb fast handling baton, instead of the extra 3lbs+ that it weighed. That .56 did pretty good duty for me 'til I found a 14ga fowler (which was flintlock like I really wanted), but that's unrelated).

I used empty tomato soup cans to test my loads at every 5yds out to 40yds. I lost my trust in it after 30yds. Your experience might prove a little different.

Have fun and safe shooting!

Back