• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DSTs for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flehto said:
A screwed down block makes the rear, setting trigger immovable or inoperative.....Fred
I understand how the front trigger works on those setups which allow firing unset, and that it is nothing more than a single trigger. My question is why it's necessary to block the set trigger in that instance. You can fire the gun just as it is by only using the front trigger. What's the advantage of blocking/immobilizing the rear/set trigger?

Spence

I had the same question. Why not just ignore it like I do rather than going to the trouble of blocking it. I don't see any gain.

kinda the point i was tryin' to make. i can see tunin' the front trigger for a better pull but if ya don't like the set trigger, don't use it.

bubba.50 said:
kinda the point i was tryin' to make. i can see tunin' the front trigger for a better pull but if ya don't like the set trigger, don't use it.
My comment/question concerns the type of trigger which will allow you to shoot the gun by setting the rear trigger and firing with the front, or ignoring the set trigger and firing with the front. With my two small caliber rifles that's not an option. You can't fire them unless you set the rear trigger. There is no arm on the front trigger long enough to contact the sear and trip it.

Spence

bubba.50 said:
I agree.

With guns with DST's like the TC Hawken and most other factory made guns it's up to the user to decide if he/she wants to set the rear trigger.

There's no reason for setting it or frinkling with it to make it inoperative.

Some have mentioned the single blade DST that needs to be set before the lock can be cocked.
If the gun has this style of trigger, blocking off the rear trigger would prevent the gun from even being cocked, let alone fired.

It sounds to me like the thing that needs to be fixed in this situation is the hunter.

Just sitting him/her down and saying, "You don't have to set the rear trigger before shooting.
Just cock the lock and pull the front trigger when your on target. The gun will do the rest." :grin:

The rear or set trigger is retained just for looks....but I don't want it to move because when a hurried shot is in order, don't want a hunter fiddling w/ the rear trigger. If it moves, the hunter might think he's pulling the front trigger. Just eliminating a possible complication....that's all.

Use what works for you and I'll just use a singlr, simple trigger.....Fred

Whatever anyone decides to use is their business, but it would be wise if they learned how things work before they hit the woods.

Spence

George said:
...it would be wise if they learned how things work before they hit the woods.

Isn't that the truth....

I'd venture over half of all the "gun" failures I've looked into were hunter failures. But they're sure anxious to blame the gun. To anyone and everyone who will listen to them! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
George said:

Isn't that the truth....

I'd venture over half of all the "gun" failures I've looked into were hunter failures. But they're sure anxious to blame the gun. To anyone and everyone who will listen to them! :rotf:

I can't agree any more with each of the statements above. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

To each their own. But, if DSTs were " all that and a bag of chips", we would see them on far more modern examples of firearms....BUT!, we don't .......in fact history has limited them to novelty of obscurity.......

I agree....but "stuff" does happen. By the way, the setting trigger is solidly blocked so it doesn't move and seeing all the springs are removed. it would just " jiggle" if it wasn't blocked.

Colorado Clyde made a good observation....DSTs didn't make it into modern guns...why? Because most triggers on modern guns have light, crisp trigger pulls unlike many MLers w/ their heavy, creepy pulls. So some MLer shooters turn to DSTs to avoid a lousy trigger pull....which in a way is a good thing for them.....Fred

colorado clyde said:
To each their own. But, if DSTs were " all that and a bag of chips", we would see them on far more modern examples of firearms....BUT!, we don't .......in fact history has limited them to novelty of obscurity.......
Not so....

High end rifles like Mausers are available with set triggers. It's a culture thing, Americans are not going to pay that for a hunting rifle.

Americans have been "cheap dates" since Col Colt and Henry Ford.

fletho said:
I can assure you that you don't get the low temps we do....Fred

Sometimes we do. When the jet stream is right we have been colder here in Alabama than International Falls MN but those occasions are rare.
Alabama weather in the 30s-40s with wind has caught many a Northerner unaware. They say we have a different kind of cold, a miserable wet cold. I prefer single digits to the mid 20s rather than 30s with wind.

I prefer DSTs I use thin gloves or the mitten type gloves that slide off the fingers.

54ball said:
colorado clyde said:
Not so....

High end rifles like Mausers are available with set triggers. It's a culture thing, Americans are not going to pay that for a hunting rifle.

Americans have been "cheap dates" since Col Colt and Henry Ford.

The Mauser was invented in the 19th century, same as the double set trigger...
Double set triggers were probably more popular with cartridge guns in the late 1800's than they were with muzzleloaders in the first half of that century.....
But you reinforced my point.....Isolated, rare, high end examples pretty much define "novel and obscure".......Available today only as a custom option or historical re-creation.....and rare at that....

DSTs go way back.

Christian Oerter letter

Christiansbrunn, the 9th September, 1773
Most valued Friend Martin Baer,
At your request I have prepared [completed/finished] a good rifle and sent it over to Mr. John Hopson together with 4 pounds of Powder. The rifle is decorated [inlaid] with silver wire and well made, as well as tested and she shoots right well. It has a double trigger, so that you can fire with the triggers either unset or set. Between the triggers there is a screw with which you can make it lighter or harder to fire. There is also a ball puller with which you can pull the ball out no matter how rusty she gets. She costs 8 pounds all together and with the powder @ 3 shillings per pound makes twelve shillings, for a total of L8.12.-. Because it is very good powder I have added two pounds more than you requested. I hope it will suit you well. You can write me a couple lines to let me know how you like it. Together with friendliest greetings I am your faithful
friend and servant,
Christian Oerter
Gunmaker

One of the traits of a Southern rifle from the late 18th through the 19th Century was double set triggers most of the single lever type.

DSTs are still pretty common in Europe.

The Pennsylvania Gazette
July 3, 1766
WAS LOST, on the 8th or 9th of May last, on the great Road betwixt Harris’ Ferry and Shippensburgh, a German rifle Gun, about two Feet in the Barrel, large Bore, carved Stock, a white Metal Lion upon the Barrel, near the Lock, with a Scepter in his Paw, double Tricker, double Sight, the under Brass or Copper, and the upper Iron. Whoever delivers said Gun to the Subscriber, or to Robert Sample, in Carlisle, or to John Miller, above Carlisle, shall have TWO DOLLARS Reward, paid by me THOMAS SIMPSON.

THE SOUTH CAROLINA and AMERICAN GENERAL GAZETTE
June 24, 1774
Camden-district, January 27th, 1774. TAKEN on suspicion, and escaped, on King's Creek, on the borders of North-Carolina, John and Julius Drun leaving behind them the following articles, viz. A Rifle Gun, about three feet and a half long, double triggered, draw britch and loops, brass box with the letters M.C. on it, a piece of brass on the stock about the middle of the barrel, the letters S.P. on the barrel near the britch, also the name John Deep engraved on the fashion plate, and the number 1773. Another Rifle Gun, double triggered, with the letters J.D. engraved on the fashion plate, together with a shot bag and power horn;.... a Pocket Pistol, screw barrel, brass mounted;

Spence

What about single set triggers, the single trigger you push forward to set it, then pull back to fire? I have never used one but I kind of like the idea. Another thought, would it be possible to make a release trigger, like some trap shooters use, adapted to a muzzleloader? Inquiring minds want to know, keep yer powder dry.......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
BrownBear said:
George said:

Isn't that the truth....

That's right. Anyone who has an accidental discharge due to a light trigger pull, as in the OPs story, needs to learn how to properly shoot a rifle.

A heavy trigger pull is like a dull knife. Less control and more dangerous. A light trigger pull affords deliberate and exacting precision.

My last CF hunting rifle was just over 2 lbs trigger pull. When my fingers were cold, this often felt like too much effort, yet I still have folks who will try to tell me anything less than 3 lbs is unsafe.

If you know how to properly aim and fire a rifle, you want that moment the gun fires to be instant. When I reach that fraction of a second when everything is blurry except for my front sight post, and I have just left out a breath, and the sight post has now settled to exactly where I want it, it is now time for the gun to fire and it needs to fire at that very moment. The lightest pull possible allows this to happen as crisply as possible, like the precision of cutting with a sharp knife or chisel.

Ironically, for as much as I prefer a light trigger, I do not like DSTs as it is just one more thing to complicate the process. I don't want to be dialing in to that split second of perfect all the right conditions to make the shot and then wonder if I remembered to set the trigger.

My hunting buddy was 2/3 the way up a long, steep slope at 10,500 ft elevation, was breathing hard because of only the 3rd day exposure and surely muffed the shot...in fact 2 shots. What wasn't mentioned was the anxiety of seeing a 6X6 bull elk standing 60 yds away.

Have hunted w/ my buddy for 45 yrs and he mostly made his shots count.

Between the "hair trigger", breathing hard and the anxiety of seeing the 6X6 bull elk, I really can't fault him for missing twice....and you shouldn't either....unless you experienced duplicate circumstances.

Mainly I fault the use of a DST.....because I have experienced his situation, but the results were quite the opposite using a simple, single trigger.

My buddy is now a convert to simplicity and wouldn't even consider a DST.

The Germans prefer DSTs w/ high mounted 'scoped rifles, but their hunting is quite different than ours...they mainly shoot from blinds at standing game animals..... and have all the time in the world to shoot....just like at paper targets.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Back