• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DSTs for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every one of my muzzleloaders has a DST, but I just don't use the set trigger function while hunting. I had to on my Pedersoli Frontier because one needs a crane to pull back the front trigger on those without the set :wink: but all my other guns have always had a nice 3-4 pound pull on the front without the DST, which works very well for hunting.

Someone else mentioned Glo-mitts...I love those in cold weather. I wear a very light pair of cotton gloves under them and when a shot presents, just stick out the trigger finger...don't even need to flip the whole finger cover back.

Cold fingers cost me a deer many years ago, not because I had set the trigger b t because I was thinking I was setting the trigger but actually tugging the stiff front trigger on my TC Renegade. My, how surprised I was when the White smoke belched!
I still prefer the DST when hunting but do practice without it for those occasions when it is best not employed.

Back