• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry-Fire Nipple Saver Tip & Safe Loaded Carry option..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Buy an assortment of 'tapered' neoprene faucet washers at the hardware store.
The assortment will provide a perfect fit for any size rifle, pistol or musket nipple.
** For safe loaded & capped carry while hunting, place an over-sized tapered washer on the nipple & place the hammer down & the washer will protect from accidental firing if the rifle is dropped.
If the washer is sufficiently over-sized you will be able to flip the washer off for a quick shot & not disturb your seated nipple.
TIP; I drilled a small hole through edge of the coned washer & attached it to my trigger guard with a length of waxed leather stitching thread, this has worked for years on my hunting rifles & pistols.

**To Prevent Revolver Dry-Fire Damage;
Place a much smaller sized coned washer with a snug fit into the hammer-slot sideways..

I can think of no normal circumstances that would inflict a blow so hard to the back of a hammer that it would cause the primer cap to detonated.

In fact, I doubt it's ever happened. Would love it if someone dug through the historical record to discover such an instance.

As for protecting a pistol nipple. Don't dry fire the pistol. No rubber washer needed.

Not sure if this response from 64Springer was made to be in humor or from an individual who is lacking in hunting skills in actual mountain or rough terrain experiences ?? :dunno:

P.S. I got my Idea 60 years ago from a British .577 Carbine that I once owned . It came equipped with a well-turned Brass & leather nipple protector that was attached by a chain :thumb:

Over the past 60 some years I & numerous fellow hunting, shooting & gunsmith buddies have experienced or seen results of falls that resulted in accidental discharges & gun damage when the percussion firearm was carried caped or un-capped on half-cock .
With guns I've repaired in my shop, in almost every instance either the half-cock notch was sheared off and/or the tumbler's axle was sheared off at the lock plate..

**I neglected to mention that use of these tapered-faucet washers also adds extra moisture protection to percussion caps if you hunt in areas of high humidity.

Carrying with hammer-down with the cap & nipple well protected in the manner I've mentioned is a much safer loaded carry option,,, or carry un-capped.

I don't like gadgets on my guns.

A cap goes on the nipple. The hammer goes down on the cap. Nothing will secure a cap better than the face of the hammer. Then pull the hammer back and pull the trigger when the animal presents itself. Gadgets tend to malfunction or cause problems at the very moment you don't want them to.

There is nothing at all dangerous about cap on and hammer down.

Last edited:
For carrying a loaded percussion rifle we cut a small triangle of suede leather and put the hammer down upon the suede over the nipple. Tie a bit of cord/sinew to the suede and to the lock side of the trigger guard. Then you can flip it out of the way easily with trigger hand while cocking the hammer.

1673907422553.jpeg

October Country sells this one, iffin’ you want store bought.

I can think of no normal circumstances that would inflict a blow so hard to the back of a hammer that it would cause the primer cap to detonated.
I can see another experiment in the near future! It won't take much effort to put the hammer down on a capped nipple and give it a little whack with a hammer.
The only time I've ever come what I thought was close to an unintended discharge (with a firearm anyway!) was when a branch grabbed the hammer and pulled it back to full cock. The lock had a fly and I've thought ever since that if the hammer wouldn't have been back enough to engage the full cock notch the fly would have let the hammer go on to fire the rifle.

You have everything you need to protect your nipple from dry firing. It is called a lead round ball. First, select the appropriate sized round ball, Next, drill a hole for the nipple. Size may vary. Next, place the drilled round ball over the nipple. Dry fire at will. At worst, the hammer blows will peen the lead to surround the base of the nipple. If so, then replace. I have had three of these on caplocks for over twenty years. they have never word out or needed replacement. the lead cushions the hammer blow, protects the nipple, and allow unlimited dry fire practice. the inspiration for this was the PH Enfield dry fire protector that was issued with all Enfield military guns. Retro-genius.

ADK Bigfoot

I had a mainspring failure on a PH Enfield two bander while trying out for a N-SSA team. I had a loaded rifle with no hammer fall. My Sargeant had me aim the rifle at the target, and he struck the rear of the downed hammer on the capped nipple (with an appropriate Enfield bayonet). Bang. the shot even scored.

ADK Bigfoot

In fact, I doubt it's ever happened. Would love it if someone dug through the historical record to discover such an instance.

As for protecting a pistol nipple. Don't dry fire the pistol. No rubber washer needed.
It certainly can happen, I've been witness to two occasions, one no injury the other an elbow blown apart both from pistols sliding out of holsters carried on a shoulder after a day in the field.

It doesn't take much of a tap on a hammer down on a capped nipple to set it off. My little leather mallet does it very easily.

Latest posts

Back