• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drop-in Smooth Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does Anyone make a drop in SB in .62 or bigger that will fit a Lyman GPR? Need a new Shotgun and they say once you go black (powder) you won't go back. :grin: :rotf: Sorry that may not be PC :nono:

Thanks From WI

But GM makes them for TC Hawkens & Renegades...pick up a used stock off an auction, etc

WI Smoke said:
Does Anyone make a drop in SB in .62 or bigger that will fit a Lyman GPR? Need a new Shotgun and they say once you go black (powder) you won't go back. :grin: :rotf: Sorry that may not be PC :nono:

Thanks From WI

Sure. Call Track of The Wolfe. They can fix you up with one. That's a pretty inexpensive way to get a lot more use from your Lyman GPR.

Track of the Wolf is out of 1" .62 cal drop in barrels and they state Green Mountain has discontinued them. Besides, the GPR takes a 15/16" barrel.

I just ordered a 1" .62 cal drop in from Log Cabin online for my big bore T/C Hawken stock but I haven't heard yet if they really have it in stock or not.

I been looking for a 15/16" smoothbore barrel for my T/C, the biggest I found was a .54 Cal. Don't know if they make something bigger in a 15/16" barrel. I firgue that a .54 cal (28 GA.) shotgun was a bit too small for wing shooting. If anyone know of 15/16" .62 cal barrel I sure would like to know also.

mwindy said:
I been looking for a 15/16" smoothbore barrel for my T/C, the biggest I found was a .54 Cal. Don't know if they make something bigger in a 15/16" barrel. I firgue that a .54 cal (28 GA.) shotgun was a bit too small for wing shooting. If anyone know of 15/16" .62 cal barrel I sure would like to know also.

IMO, a .28ga modern shotgun is an outstanding field gun for small game...and the .54cal/.28ga muzzleloader is equal or better because of the larger shot charge that can be used in thick, strong ML barrels.

It wouldn't be my choice for ducks/geese/pheasants, but squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, grouse, etc.

I have a GM 15/16" x .54cal Flint smoothbore drop-in on a TC Hawken stock and I use:

70grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke wad
1+1/8oz #6's
.28ga OS card

Throws an outstanding, even, dense pattern at 25yds.

IMO, a .28ga modern shotgun is an outstanding field gun for small game...
I should have asked the question sooner. I guess I waited too long. TOW doesn't have a .54 smoothbore listed anymore and Dixie Guns is also a no-go. Anyone know of about place where I might get my hands on a 15/16 replacement barrel for my T/C Hawkins?

mwindy said:
IMO, a .28ga modern shotgun is an outstanding field gun for small game...
I should have asked the question sooner. I guess I waited too long. TOW doesn't have a .54 smoothbore listed anymore and Dixie Guns is also a no-go. Anyone know of about place where I might get my hands on a 15/16 replacement barrel for my T/C Hawkins?

I order mine through Ed Cain, Cains Outdoor, West VA:[url] www.cainsoutdoor.com[/url]
a good size TC & GM dealer...or you could contact GM directly, speak to "Kerry"...but you'll pay full MSRP that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm out of luck too. Log Cabin online didn't have one in stock either and they say they haven't been able to get them for 2 years and they confirmed that Green Mountain dicontinued them. :cursing:

mwindy said:

I've got an old lyman that came with two barrels, one a rifled 58 cal and the other a smoothbore 20 ga (62 cal). Both barrels are 15/16 and made by Investarms. You might try contacting Investarms and see if they still make these as they should "drop in" to a 15/16 TC stock.

Mad P thanks for the infor. I decided to save up am get a complete smoothbore gun. I talking flinter and the whole nine yards. May take me awhile up in the end I think I will enjoy it more.

I believe Auctionarms has two T/C renegade .56 smoothbores right now. You could probably buy one for less than trying to convert with a new barrel.

Isn't the T/C Renegade a 1" barrel?

Bill Moody can make a smooth bore barrel for you. You can have TOW or other gun smith do the breech, underlugs, etc to make it a drop in for your Lyman.

Moody Metal Works
Bill Moody
409 S. Cantrell St
Seymour, MO 65746-8633
ph 417-935-4297

Yes, T/C Renegade barrels are 1". I bought a .56 smoothbore to put on my T/C bigbore Hawken stock which also uses 1" barrels.

Back