• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drifting a sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick_ford

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have another newbie question here. I have a Lyman GPR percussion and it prints bit low and right. I noticed that the adjustable sight seems to be a little off to the right and that seems to be my problem. I have wanted to replace the sight with the primitive sight anyway, but I have no idea how.

Can someone here please take me through the steps and proper tools to use to drift out the old sight and properly drift the "new" primitive sight?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patric,
First off I would remove the barrel from the stock then clamp the barrel in a vise with the jaws protected with leather or nylon or even wood so you don't scratch it, next find a brass punch and a small hammer and tap the sight out I usually go from left to right. Install the primitive sight in the reverse order, if the primitive sight is too big to start you may need to file the dovetail, on the sight, with a 3 corner file but be very careful how much you take off and try it often.
Hope this helps. Longball 58

As stated earlier protect the barrel when clamping it. Use brass or copper punches. Remember when sighting in your rifle move the rear sight the way you want the shot to go, front sight the way the shot is going off line.My self I like to set a high front sight exactly in the middle and do my windage with the rear sight movement. Get a rear sight I feel com fortabl;e with and adjust height by filing down the front. Being a machinist I use a depth mic stem in an offset block so I can measure precicily each adjustment.

One note on the primitive sight provided with GPR's...they are usually too small for the dovetail and will slide right through. To make it fit snug you have to either dimple the bottom of the sight with a hammer and punch or peen over the edges of the barrel dovetail so it will grab the sight. You might have to do both. I have a couple GPR's and I haven't installed the primitive sight because they take just too much modification to fit which would leave the dovetail too buggered for my liking.

HD

Dawg is right about the Lyman primitive rear sight bring too small. I placed the sight upside down in a vise and peened the bottom edges of the dove tail. Had to do it a couple of times until it fit very snug. I din't have to do anything to the barrel. That sight has been in there for almost two years and still rock solid. The primitive sight gives me a better sight picture and I think it just plain looks better.

Someone may have mentioned this - but I can't find it in the other posts on this thread. Anyhow, an important aspect is to make sure that you put an index mark on the sight base and a corresponding spot on the barrel flat. This way you can track the minute movements and adjustments you will make.

I would not modify the barrel or use the Lyman primitive sights. I purchased front and rear primitive sights from Track of the Wolf. The dovetails on these sights are a little oversize so you can file fit them. The sights are only about $7 a piece. When I get home I will look up the product number on the front site. I tried brass for the front sight but it was soft and moved once when I dropped the gun so I switched to a caste steel sight. I deepened the grove on the rear sight to a slot shape with a very small file.

Below is the rear sight I used.
The product number is RS-DRU-CT if the link does not work.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(3...Id=14&subId=167&styleId=767&partNum=RS-DRU-CT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back