• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dress up new Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbtusa

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I used some B-Casey Brass Black to darken the ramrod tips from that gawdy brass. Now the rifle looks much better. I also rubbed on a few coats of boiled linseed oil. Wow, what fantastic rifle. I am really impressed! (.530 ball w 80 gr Goex FF.)

Welcome to the forum. That is the same load I use. My percussion and flinter .54 GPR just love this load. I use pillow ticking with Ballistol oil for lube. When I built the flinter kit, I used about eight coats of boiled linseed oil, with no stain, and rubbed each coat in. It gave the stock a very warm brown color, which really shows the grains. You're going to love that rifle :thumbsup:

watch using the linseed oil don't build up to heavy of a coat it takes a long time for the stuff to really dry. I finished several guns with it...puts a nice finish on but sometimes it will come off when you clean your rifle using stuff like Murphy's oil soap. It also may become tacky in humid weather. Since you remove your barrel to clean you shouldn't have to much of a problem.Good luck and happy shooting.SS

Mixing a bit of turp. and marine spar varnish to the BLO, will give a longer lasting weather proofing if you decide to add some finish again.

tg said:
Mixing a bit of turp. and marine spar varnish to the BLO, will give a longer lasting weather proofing if you decide to add some finish again.

I used tung oil, Mineral spirits and a tad of Marine Spar Varnish and am satisfied with the finish on my Lyman.

Thanks for the tips on the stock finish. I think that I will stick with linseed oil finish exclusively. I have made 3 homebuilts and used only linseed oil on them and they turned out beautifully. Yes I know to go light on the linseed oil and let it dry before adding more. I also hand rub the wood to the point where I feel the wood warm up and this helps the drying and finishing process. It takes months of doing this before the linseed oil finish really comes to life. But once it does, it's worth it!

I would be glad to upload a photo but I can't figure out how to do it! (I am not a paying member.) Tell me how and I will post a cool photo.

Go back to the forum home page ,look three topics down from the top "using the forum page " click on it it has all the info you need to post pics :thumbsup:

Looks very nice. They are a great gun. Mark
jbtusa said:
http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/jbtusa/

Here is the GPR. I am still applying coats of boiled linseed oil to arrive at the desired finish. It will take many more but getting there!

Back