• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dremel bit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dremel bit?
or
Dremel bit!

Stay away from the dremel as said above. In sights a little goes a long way.
Think carefully before you remove metal and get your load sorted first.
Consider if you need to thin or lower the front versus touch the back.
Personally I would rather alter the front as it is easier to work with.
If it is a simple v notch then a small triangular file is all you need.
Suggest you do get yourself a set of jewellers files. Cheap and cheerful is all you need.
You will be amazed how handy they can be. Especially for the fiddly stuff. A 4" flat smooth file is also very useful for sight work.

I agree that a jeweler's file is the way to go. Remove material slowly and keep checking the sight picture as you go. I have bought 5 different Pedersoli pistols and haven't liked the sights on any of them....so I had to replace some and alter some. They are kind of a pain to replace as they dovetails are a lot smaller than most american guns.

I use mine fairly often to grind a hollowground screw driver bit to proper fit on an unusual size screw slot for a perfect fit. I drum grinder works well in the dremel for this. Gun work? Not so much.

Dremel should never be in the same room as a gun.
I think a Dremel has lots of uses on guns, a guy just has to use common sense. I use one quite often to do things like dress up or polish screw heads and similar projects. They are very handy with polishing wheels and sanding drums. I often need one to shorten up a screw with a cutting wheel and then dress up the screw.

Being old and retired from construction work I have files, have to find them. Been using dremel recently (pistol stand), sure is handy and yes can be quick.
Thought I would chance it on sights that are too tall and proud. If I slip, I get more attractive sights. I'll look at Lowe's. Does Harbor freight carry dremel?
Either way, no need for gunsmith.

You're right, it's not the tool. The same gunsmith has a dental drill with foot control. He uses it often. But the Dremel in the hands of most people is a disaster waiting to happen. Especially dealing with sights, as small adjustments are needed.

My friend who helped me build my early Lancaster used a ball grinder with an air chuck to thin down my stock blank. My gunsmith friend showed up cause he wanted to see this. The wood chips flew as the 1 1/2" ball grinder went to work. I gritted my teeth and said a prayer... but the old man knew what he was doing.

A friend gave me all his B/P stuff before he died, in one tackle box were some files that were 1/2" wide but only about 1/32" thick, I am sure they are for filing a notch in a rear sight and I use them for such.

Use a fine tooth thin hack saw blade to deepen and size, nice to have good handle to tell if you are parallel and square to barrel. Blade thickness vary like pitch of teeth. Jeweler saw real good but thin blade, and easy to not run straight cut. They will work but they are a hand contour saw. All should own a set of needle files. Start out with the cheep ones, but look for a good set of swiss made, I have found them more than once for a mere fraction of what they cost on evil bay. Thickness on needle files varies, easy to open up sight, tough to shut gap. The Dremel cut off wheel is good , if you have a drill press throw the Dremel back in to its box, and take the fiber wheel and chuck it up in its mandrel into the drill chuck , lay barrel flat and parallel on its side and gently make a swiping pass taking very little, walk into the spinning disk as not to let the cut pull your barrel. Much more ridge than by hand.

Being old and retired from construction work I have files, have to find them. Been using dremel recently (pistol stand), sure is handy and yes can be quick.
Thought I would chance it on sights that are too tall and proud. If I slip, I get more attractive sights. I'll look at Lowe's. Does Harbor freight carry dremel?
Either way, no need for gunsmith.

Yes Harbor Freight carries several sets of small file sets, dirt cheap priced, and good enough for this job. Good luck

As a cut-off wheel for bolts and the like I can see, but they can often create more work for you than you were trying to save in the first place. Maybe for hogging out the hole for the sear bar. Most of those tasks can be done with a drill press though. It's the hand-held nature of them and their tendency to grab and run away on you that makes control so difficult.

Sight width is a very tricky thing. I like about a 5 1/2 MOA blade width front sight and about 12 MOA for the rear notch. Getting those dimensions correct is a delicate job calling for hand work, and it's only a 5 minute job in the first place.

The only thing I learned about using a Dremel around muzzle loaders is the fact that they'll get you into trouble so much faster than non power type tooling, not interested in that style of aggravation.

Back