• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dream Tools--What do you yearn for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Like most on this forum, I've built a few ML'ers over the years. With some of the basics, (bench, vices, lighting, files, gouges, sharpening stones) I go out there and get them when I need them. It's the price of entry. $20, $30, 40 isn't a budget buster (usually), but some of these things (or systems) are pretty dog gone expensive. It becomes a question of; "can I really justify the purchase price of $XXX with what I'm going to do with it? Will I use it enough?" Or, "if I get it, will that motivate me (or my domestic situation allow it) to use it enough?"

What are your dream tools that you are either saving for, or, wish you had? I can name about 4 that I wish I had, but am wrestling with the above. In my case, most are powered systems, (like a Lindsay pneumatic engraving set up) but not everything is.

Last edited:
I need to get a bandsaw and a lathe.
I can remember dreaming of having a lathe and a milling machine. I ended up having my own machine shop for almost 30 years. I'm retired now and getting old, yesterday I gave my oldest son 3 milling machines and 4 lathes. I will still have access to them if I get the urge to make something. I hope you get your lathe Bill, then of course you will need a milling machine. :thumb:

A metal shaper! think they are just too cool and if nothing else I'd like to sit there and watch it work :p

I have a pretty complete wood working shop that has given me a lot of pleasure even though my skills never progress beyond moderate. Not sure if it qualifies as a 'machine' but these days I would love to have a quality photo slide scanner and photo quality printer. Have thousands of slides from my father and myself that are history but, I'm sure, will be discarded by my children after I pass over.

Like most on this forum, I've built a few ML'ers over the years. With some of the basics, (bench, vices, lighting, files, gouges, sharpening stones) I go out there and get them when I need them. It's the price of entry. $20, $30, 40 isn't a budget buster (usually), but some of these things (or systems) are pretty dog gone expensive. It becomes a question of; "can I really justify the purchase price of $XXX with what I'm going to do with it? Will I use it enough?" Or, "if I get it, will that motivate me (or my domestic situation allow it) to use it enough?"

What are your dream tools that you are either saving for, or, wish you had? I can name about 4 that I wish I had, but am wrestling with the above. In my case, most are powered systems, (like a Lindsay pneumatic engraving set up) but not everything is.
It is too late now for this old man! I would somehow manage to keep my father's wood shop equipment with Delta 220 volt machinery. Having a family and work responsibilities, there was no place for the aforementioned. I had to sell for my mother which I could have had for free.
I should have purchase a metal cutting band saw years ago.
Larry

While others are desirous of milling machines, lathes, etc., the tools I'd wish for are by comparison, quite pedestrian:
  • a second, longer workbench equipped with supports to hold gunstocks
  • an antique egg-beater drill
  • a good draw knife
  • engraving tools
  • wood carving chisels
  • a touch hole countersink to cone the touch hole from the interior
I think that should about do it. Modest, yes.

Latest posts

Back