• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dovetail sight installation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I’d call them again and explain what’s going on and try to work my way up the chain if I didn’t get any satisfaction with the first customer service rep, don’t be afraid to email them also, if it’s their boo boo they need to make it rite.

What if you put shim in dove tail on barrel to make opening a slight interference fit to the measurement of the dovetail on the sight. Seems that would drive the sight to move down.
It looks like if you remove the feeler the sight would be loose in the dovetail. If so narrowing the width between the angles is the answer to move sight down.
If it was mine and decided to shim/fill the gap I would make a solid shims that would provide tight fit at the dovetail and just fill front and back. Drill small hole through shims, 2 in front, 2 in back and 1 at dovetail into bottom of sight and pin them. That way its there solid for good. No concerns of any liquid fillers degrading or shrinking that could cause the sight to get loose.
Still think narrowing the width of the angles on barrel best. Provides that solid fit to barrel plus give maximum area of contact of the surfaces allowing good friction fit.

Last edited:
I've used JB Weld on project problems like this with sights and it's an easy fix. Just fill up the areas under the barrel cuts and tap your sight in. Wipe off any excess that is left on the outside when you are done. After it dries out you can tap down a little on the dovetail and really get a nice tight fit. If you want to remove the sight in the future, you can still just tap it out as normally with no problem.

Several easy ways to fix that. Put the sight in without the shim. Using a small punch, hammer down the metal of the barrel where it goes over the dovetail. Or you can hammer the dovetail part of the sight. That will stretch is out a bit wider. Or you can bend the ends of the dovetail part of the sight up slightly then put it back in.

Every time I buy front or rear dovetail sights, the very first thing I do is measure the dovetail width, height. On a front I also measure the distance from top of barrel to the top of sight. Measure twice, buy once.

I have called Williams several times and emailed them. They never even answered the email and basically are telling me that because the front sight came in a front and rear kit that I would have to purchase the different front sight separately. Even the screws on the rear sight were too long. I was able to use the original ones from the original sight. No, I'm done with them. Over a $15 front sight they give you the run around? I will make what I have work but will never give that company another dime.

sight.jpg
You could also try putting the shim on the angled side of the dovetail instead of under. I use copper wire and flatten it in a taper to make a very tight fit. This method pushes the sight down in the dovetail so you don't get a gap between it and the top flat. I'd also use red loctite.

You can also upset the bottom of the sight with the side of a round punch on two spots, on one edge to pull it down tighter. For gosh sake do not mangle the barrel with punch marks etc, it just looks terrible when people do that.

The lock tite does sound like the best idea. I just got the same front sight for my 32 and I feel it’s a great improvement. I use a peep sight rear. I just chose the blaze orange.

The lock tite does sound like the best idea. I just got the same front sight for my 32 and I feel it’s a great improvement. I use a peep sight rear. I just chose the blaze orange.

Weather permitting I will be shooting it tomorrow. I put on a Williams Ghost ring for the rear sight. I can't see open sights worth a damn anymore but I can see this. If it shoots well I will make it permanent. I also changed the front sight fiber optic from red to green. Very bright.
sights.jpg

Hi,
You can cut a small piece of steel, the thickness of the gap (almost) and also cut it to the dimensions of the bottom of the sight, epoxy the shim to the bottom of the sight, then tap the sight to it's position.
Easy as pie!
Fred

Well, I had a chance to fire it yesterday. it shoots. .490 round ball with a .020 ox-yoke wonderlube patch. Shot it at 50 yards. Need to play with it some more but has potential.
target.jpg

Back