• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dovetail jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the straight sided recess is to depth, the triangular file w/ the safeside down starts the dovetail and then the upsetting chisel is used to get the finished size...this is done only on bbl lugs. The raised steel is then pounded down onto the lug for a very tight fit. All the surfaces are smoothed w/ a file. The same thing is done for the rear sight dovetail except the sight is fitted using the triangular file and the raised steel is filed into a molding. The front sight is done w/o the upsetting chisel. The moldings on both sides of the rear sight enable a very shallow actual depth into the bbl {.030} but the effective dovetail depth is 1/16"......Fred

alex efremenko said:
Kieth, do you always work barefoot in the shop? :nono: Alex.

:redface: dang it ! You're not supposed to be lookin there ! :rotf: Funny part is I didn't notice it when I took, saved, or posted the photo ! :haha: I weld without a shirt on sometimes too, but I usually don't last too long. :shake:

Keith Lisle

One lil tip on those underlugs. You will see they have a very fine/sharp edge on the beveled edge ? File that very edge off just barely & then slightly round the edge from the bottom just a tad. Even with a safe file you cannot file a slot that sharp to fit that sharp beveled edge (if these are milled underlugs), so the underlug will catch there & resist it going in, where if it was rounded of slightly, it will go in much easier & have a better fit.

Thanks for the great tip, sometimes the simple fixes are just way to obvious.

Back