• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DOM Tubing that being used for barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work!
I have to wonder if any barrel with a similar profile would have survived the last test, or even one with a normal load and short started ball.

Earlier, you said, " Diesel will seep through and reveal cracks that magnaflux will not...."

Perhaps you meant to say Penetrant, rather than Magnaflux?

Fluorescent Penetrant inspection relies on the fluid penetrating cracks and then glowing under fluorescent light.

Magnaflux relies on the disturbances in the magnetic field flux caused by cracks, non-metalics or rapid grain displacements.

These disturbances are detected by the magnetic particles that fluoresce either applied dry or suspended in a fluid.

Because penetration is not required and the magnetic field is thru the part being tested it can find faults which are not exposed to the surface.

I rate Magnetic Particle inspection to be one of the better non-destructive methods available for steel or iron parts.

Bad phrasing on my part the only way that diesel beats magnaflux is it's hard to get a magnaflux unit into some places. If I had one I would use it, it's cleaner for one thing. Once you test a part with diesel the only way to get a clean repair weld is to dry it out with a torch, then clean it up and reweld. I have Penatratant dye but, I think it wouldn't be as good a choice for this.(didn't know they had the florescent kind)
For the economically challenged out on the farm diesel is a good choice provided you understand it's limits (same applies to any non destructive testing) Any crack on a barrel is a killer, (reweld is just not an option) so diesel is a good choice. Cheap and effective. Thanks for pointing this out.

You're many personal investments and detailed testing were outstanding and professional...nobody else in this thread or on this forum is anywhere near the level of knowledge and skills you've demonstrated with yor actual hands on experience.
:hatsoff:

I hope a future test similar to this one will be done on barrels made from 12L14, so we can put that myth to rest as well.

Just a thought.

And thank you, this was extremely informative.

I hope a future test similar to this one will be done on barrels made from 12L14, so we can put that myth to rest as well.

There have been tons of such tests. But the myth of inferiority won't die.
I recall the tests showed the 'high lead' barrels, when tested to destruction, tended to split and relieve excess pressures through the splits. Other steels, like GBQS, tended to shatter like grenades. (of course, the amount of pressures required for destruction were different)
IMHO, Douglas barrels will still be around when future muzzle loaders will look back at us as being 'authentic' or in that 'back in the day' time.

Forrest said:
Lord, wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way?

This myth hasn't been put to rest.

Spence

RazorBritches, too much excellent work to gradually fade away...(out of sight/out of mind).
Since you have all your data from which you created your various posts, you might want to assemble it all together in a single stand alone document and send it to Claude to see if he'd add it as a sticky to the top of the smoothbore section...and/or up in the MLF's 'Articles' section.

Back