• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone know anything about these two?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00QckSlvrLight

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know anything about either of these two pistols... If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.
First Pistol
A9492FD1-D44B-4118-A743-989017A25687-1265-000000E87EC33A82.jpg

84F7477C-F346-4BA1-AB55-4799AB8CDE06-1265-000000E882E71F3E.jpg

F63D3D0D-48C9-4870-BDD5-183F2AAFC428-1265-000000E886DA8A53.jpg

EBA2498A-E2BE-45EE-94E7-3A14CA389A69-1265-000000E88A4BA652.jpg

51E34D3B-1015-4757-BF51-DC39E4EDD1CD-1265-000000E88E697B19.jpg

14F67B1B-6766-4F8C-8068-E729F6135E5D-1265-000000E891E880ED.jpg

Second Pistol
Only marking I was able to read, read Van waft son precision pistol?!? Not sure if I read it correctly.
5618D61B-B58F-459A-92A5-EC4CE78CD42C-1265-000000E897D6758B.jpg

FCD5FEC7-4A4D-41B9-845F-7D14F0111DF8-1265-000000E89ABE0C9F.jpg

329D6820-B71A-481B-997A-795599590BF6-1265-000000E89E1B8F9F.jpg

Thanks,
Junior

Patience. I'll try to look up the proofmarks on the first one, tonight. Caliber on either?
Second one looks like an overcoat pocket pistol for travelers' defense. Just a guess. I'll also try to look up the name. Someone more knowledge-able than me will probably give you the answers before I can get back to you...

The top pistol is most likely Turkish in origin.Google Turkish flintlock pistol and you'll find pictures of many similar to that one.I believe there are some fellows on this board who have expertise in Turkish and middle-eastern firearms who will probably chime in in a bit.

The second pistol,look at the name under a glass and see if it's Van Wart & Son.The company is listed in Blackmore's Gunmakers of London circa 1835-1882.

Thank you so much! Your right it is Van Wart Son, after closer examination. Out of curiosity do you have any idea how much I should offer to pay for these? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to muzzleloading.

Ok, here’s my personal view on how much to offer for something that doesn’t have a set or asking price.

First, decide if you’re buying it because you want to own it or if you view it at least in part as an investment that you might sell later. Those are in my mind completely different situations.

For the “I want to own it” purchase, decide what is the maximum you’re willing to pay. Offer less than that to start with, say about 80%. That gives you room to bargain. In this case, what it’s “worth” on the general market is irrelevant. The question is just what are YOU willing to pay for it. How much is it worth to YOU. You will not get “ripped off” because you decide how much it’s worth to you to own it. If you pay that much, it doesn’t matter what someone else would have paid.

For the “I want it now, but I might want to sell it at some future time” purchase, you need to know what the general market value of the item is. You still have to decide how much you’re willing to spend, but now you don’t want to get ripped off and pay more than you have to, so the market value is a limiting factor.

There was a nice musket a member’s girlfriend owned that was posted recently (not for sale). I am out of gun money at the moment and she wasn’t selling anyway, but when he asked what the value was I said $500-$600 was what I’d pay. If I had bought it at $600, and then found out it was worth less, let’s say $300, on the open market, I would have still been quite happy since I liked the gun and it was worth $600 to me.

But that’s just my view on the topic, others may differ. :grin:

Those are very nice, by the way.

Not a clue other than to look at actual sales of similar pistols,sorry.

Here's a similar Van Wart pistol with some information on the maker-
http://www.damonmills.com/images/PS 29/van_wart_3021.htm

The Van Wart pistols have a southern association and are very collectible and desirable item.They can run up into the $1000-$1500+ price range from a dealer who specializes in items with southern connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, "Patience....and someone more knowledgeable than me). Scots Jim looks to be right on. I tried finding the proofmarks, but had no luck. :wink: But, I learned some from this thread, and that's why I joined this Forum. Thanks, and I'll keep reading.

Hi Junior. The SECOND pistol appears to be a typical English styled belt pistol from the 1840's or 50's. It would be interesting to know if it has a half-cock safety? Believe it or not, some were made without. Nice gun.

FIRST Pistol: That is a very nice silver stocked Greek pistol made sometime during the first half of the 19th Century. It was likely made in the Balkans or Southern Albania for the Greek market. The stock is made of a low grade silver (Niello)that contains copper, Silver, and lead sulphides, similar to what we call German silver today. The stock and barrel band was likely cast by a provincial jeweler in the region.
The lock is typical Balkan/Turkish and of a very common style during the period.
The barrel appears to have a makers mark at the breech. The barrel decoration is common for for this style/region of gun. And it does not necessarily have any meaning. The Greeks in particular had a fetish for making their triggers in the form of humans or animals.
The Balkans were the largest pistol making center during the Ottoman Empire. And this pistol is a really nice example. appears in good condition too. Did you mention it was for sale/trade?
Hopefully, this information is of some assistance.
There are others on this Forum that will be of more assistance on the second/belt pistol.
That's for Posting!! Rick. :hatsoff:

Rick, the gun is currently up for sale... But owner has not given me a price. I believe he is waiting on me to make him an offer, that is why I'm trying to get info. Do you have any idea on price?

Ricky

That information on the Balkan pistol, seems to me, to be spot on. Just for grins, are you by any chance using Robert Elgood's tomes for reference?

hi miqueleter! Yes, much of my reference material is from Robert Elgood and Anthony Teri. Have been collecting (and even shooting) Middle Eastern type guns for quite a while. thanks, Rick. :thumbsup:

Back