• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does a horn need nails?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe that Gerry (Powder Horns and More) let that horn leave the shop without the base pins missing!...Just for the record. Don't put in BRASS pins, as the old originals didn't use them. There is probably an example or two of horns with brass pins, but I have never seen them. If you want to use nails or brads, use the steel or iron brads with the flat common nail head and file or stone the head in a square top. That way they will look like you are using square nails like they use to have and use.

Side note! Base plugs never have to be glued to seal and secure. A heavy coat of bee's wax when pressing in the wooden plug on assembly (WITH PINS), is all that is needed to seal and secure it.

Rick
This was before I owned the Company. It looks like it has wooden pins from the picture. I did not build this one.

So I know absolutely nothing about powder horns other than what their intended purpose is. My wife bought me one for Christmas that looks identical to this only it has no nails holding the base plug in:

horn-a-l_1_zpsymzxugxm.jpg

She said it was advertised as the 'Cureton Deluxe Model' and she got it from Powder Horns and More. It looks nice enough, but it seems like every other horn I see has visible nails or tacks holding the base plug in place. Is it a problem that mine doesn't? Should I/could I add them after the fact?
Let me know if this got resolved. I am new to this forum and am just seeing this. In another post I said you got it before I owned the business, BUT I was looking at the date you joined this forum. I probably did make it and would be happy to fix it if I left the nails out. Contrary to opinions below, brass nails were COMMONLY used and many originals have them. They also used cut finish nails and rose head hand wrought nails. There are literally 1000's of originals with various forms of nails. Please contact me directly if you need resolution. (910) 964-2580.

Back