• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbloke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a very cheap CVA muzzle loader about a year ago. Its a 0.50 ball and patch. Wow, its been a learning curve. Lol

As my eyes are no good with open sights anymore I figured a peep would help. But they are difficult to get for my gun and cost fitted almost as much as the gun was to buy. Lol
Currently getting about 2" at 45 yards and would like that at about 70 yards for hunting.

Sooo, its DIY time again. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Just needs painting with pot belly black now. Lol

The peep is 3mm, a tad under 1/8".

Note the rear zinc screw is in a slotted hole to allow L to R adjustment and vertical will be achieved with some shims. Pretty basic but should do the job.

Attachments

• CVA 1.jpeg
    CVA 1.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Peep 1.jpeg
    Peep 1.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Peep 2.jpeg
    Peep 2.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 130
I bought a very cheap CVA muzzle loader about a year ago. Its a 0.50 ball and patch. Wow, its been a learning curve. Lol

As my eyes are no good with open sights anymore I figured a peep would help. But they are difficult to get for my gun and cost fitted almost as much as the gun was to buy. Lol
Currently getting about 2" at 45 yards and would like that at about 70 yards for hunting.

Sooo, its DIY time again. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Just needs painting with pot belly black now. Lol

The peep is 3mm, a tad under 1/8".

Note the rear zinc screw is in a slotted hole to allow L to R adjustment and vertical will be achieved with some shims. Pretty basic but should do the job.

Great idea!
One little suggestion, you would get more adjustment at the peep hole with the front hole being slotted. From your picture, I'm guessing you would need .020" movement at the rear screw to get 0.010" movement at the peep. With a slotted front hole, 0.010" movement at the front hole would give about 0.015" movement at the peep.

Very novel home brew peep sight. Think I'll put one of those on my .40 small game flint rifle. Back a fewyears ago , there was an article about a sight like this in Muzzle Blasts. Just forgot about it. Again , good thinking...............oldwood

"From your picture, I'm guessing you would need .020" movement at the rear screw to get 0.010" movement at the peep"

Correct. But don't forget i can adjust the front sight. So I think its enough. Will find out when I get out to shoot it next.

Had a crack a while back but ran out of balls. So, anyway got it sighted in yesterday today. With care I managed about 1 1/4" groups at 30 yards. From what I gather its about what I can expect. Any way it will do.

Had a crack a while back but ran out of balls. So, anyway got it sighted in yesterday today. With care I managed about 1 1/4" groups at 30 yards. From what I gather its about what I can expect. Any way it will do.
Your rifle will probably do better than that. Experiment with charge weights, patch thickness, an overpowder wad... ask the collective under percussion rifles section and you’ll get lots of help. Nice job on the sight btw... very helpful for older and younger eyes!

Latest posts

Back