• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disabled veterans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdwhite15

Chopper
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. I'm a military veteran with 28 years of service. I'm also 68 years old and paying for the sins of my youth. Heart, lungs, liver, eyes, and joints are shot. Not a lot of upper body strength anymore, and can't walk very far. I have also been a traditional shooter and builder for 50 years. All that to say my woodswalk, offhand match, and tossing the caber days are over. I'm wondering how many members are in the same boat, and if there could be a section dedicated to help and support disabled veterans with the sport?

Think you replied to the wrong post pal. I was looking for a place diabled veterans could go for information on individuals or clubs that would help them learn about building, or shooting muzzleloaders, maybe even a rendezvous for them.

I'm sure if folks look around they may be able to find someone that is willing to mentor/teach those things, but the logistical problem would be tough to overcome. I know there are folks up in Ohio that offers classes for Kibler builds to first-timers and Chambers use to do the same thing in North Carolina and probably still do. These classes were for anyone that could afford them and I don't know if they would be willing to do the same thing for folks with disabilities just because of the length of time to complete all the work (speaking for myself). There are forums within the group that are separated by region, so that might be a good starting point along with post topics like this one. What I see as the biggest challenge is the distance issues between those who are willing and those who are in need.

I'm sure if folks look around they may be able to find someone that is willing to mentor/teach those things, but the logistical problem would be tough to overcome. I know there are folks up in Ohio that offers classes for Kibler builds to first-timers and Chambers use to do the same thing in North Carolina and probably still do. These classes were for anyone that could afford them and I don't know if they would be willing to do the same thing for folks with disabilities just because of the length of time to complete all the work (speaking for myself). There are forums within the group that are separated by region, so that might be a good starting point along with post topics like this one. What I see as the biggest challenge is the distance issues between those who are willing and those who are in need.
So true, I live remote out in the hills of Meigs county Ohio, no clubs shooting around here anymore, went to a local rendezvous last year and there were maybe 8 people in attendance. Years ago when I shot with the Centerburg Ohio club and was in Clann Wolf, the rendezvous at Beaver Ohio had between 200 and 300 people. We had all the pre 1840 events, plus Highland games. It's dying out around here. Some interested new blood could help.

So true, I live remote out in the hills of Meigs county Ohio, no clubs shooting around here anymore, went to a local rendezvous last year and there were maybe 8 people in attendance. Years ago when I shot with the Centerburg Ohio club and was in Clann Wolf, the rendezvous at Beaver Ohio had between 200 and 300 people. We had all the pre 1840 events, plus Highland games. It's dying out around here. Some interested new blood could help.
New blood would be great if they have the resources to contribute (time and money), plus it takes a different person who is willing to teach able-bodied folks, but when you throw in disabilities that brings more challenges to overcome. I use to be able to do a lot of things like most people, but now I do well to walk without falling down and my hands are as steady as someone about ready to have a nervous breakdown. I served in the Air Force and the US Army and now have Parkinson's and I wouldn't put anyone in the position to have to deal with my health issues. Hell, most folks get uncomfortable when they are only around me for a few minutes so I know a little about it.
My best suggestion would be to start a mentor/mentee program based on each person's ability. Maybe something like PMs to start with and see if and how it grows from there. It's relatively easy to make quick videos on how-to's and what you accomplished to only be shared with the two involved.

Latest posts

Back