• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Difficulty Capping an Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hargrove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a real problem capping my underhammer ,have to do it at full cock upside down then return the hammer to half i find this very difficult with the main spring being the trigger guard,and if you cap it at full and turn it upright the hammer is very hard to hold on to.any ideas for a safer way on that sure would like some advise on this.

Now remember I've just been shooting, building and just messing around with H+A and custom UH's for about 20 something years BUT I've never had a problem? I use my fingers sometime but most the time a inline (not the gun type) capper at 1/2 cock. ( the 3 buck kind of capper thats plastic and a spring and holds 20 caps. Maybe Ive been doing this to long but I dont even look when I cap em up anymore (maybe you could trim a little wood from around your nipple if thats the problem ?) Also a lot of times I dont even cap till Im about to shoot. Hope that helps Im not really sure what you mean, I dont cap from full cock if I can help it ( one of mine has no safty but its a heavy bench rifle) Or try those things that hold 10 or so caps on a thin line of plastic (CVA I think) and you just pull the plastic holding the cap off when the cap is on... lots of ways to do one. Fred :hatsoff:

I'm having the same problem capping my underhammer. At halfcock the hammer is still covering the end of the nipple. The only way I can put a cap on is bring it to fullcock.

i cap mine at full-cock, making sure its pointed downrange. can't quite squeeze a capper in there at half-cock. i'm not capping until i'm ready to shoot.

underhammers forever!

The black capper I use is less than a 1/16" over cap size so no problem getting it in Wal ? ? Fred :hatsoff:

Ya its a "composit capper from Deer Creek # A1423' if you look in the catlog you'll see the part that puts the cap on is as big as the cap only - so if a cap will go on at 1/2 this will fit at 1/2 cock, Also the Orgnge CVA "spider that has the 12 legs on it isnt even as thick as a cap,you put the cap on one of the thin arms (its dosent cover all the cap its so short pull up and it rips the cap and holding part off. Both have worked on all but 3 of my 20 something Uh and one didnt have a 1/2 cock :youcrazy: but its "almost as good as the 48 is. Fred :hatsoff:

thanks fred, i had one buried in the bottom of my hunting bag. i'll give it a try next time out.

The way to keep a cap from falling off an underhammer is to match the cap size to the nipple. I use a size 11 cap but that can mean different sizes in different brands. No.11 CCI caps with a T/C nipple work just fine on my Hopkins & Allen "Offhand" made by Numrich Arms.
Unless my fingers are cold I can put on a cap without a capper. After capping I lower the hammer on the cap and apply pressure on it which seats the cap for better ignition and better grip.
I really like this rifle It is slim, trim dependable and accurate. I shoot left handed and this gun is completely ambidextrous. So far I don't have any left handed grandchildren to leave my left hand guns to but I don't have to worry about the H&A or the O/U shotgun, they can be shot from either side.

Hello Gentlemen. I've used my fingers and regular cappers. As far as size goes, I get the nipples that have a nice taper. When I put the cap on I push it against the nipple nice and snug. In fact getting it off can be a bugger if unfired.

Viva Underhammers! :thumbsup:

Underhammer said:
No.11 CCI caps with a T/C nipple work just fine on my Hopkins & Allen "Offhand" made by Numrich Arms.
It should not be possible to use a T/C nipple in a Numrich Arms underhammer. They were tapped for a 1/4x32 nipple and so far as I know T/C nipples are 1/4x28. Some people do rethread them by just running a 1/4x28 tap into the old threads but that doesn't really work, you get mashed and mangled threads which don't hold much.

I use a leather capper that a friend made for me a long time ago. I don't hunt anymore so there is no problem capping from full cock because the next move is shooting. I don't have an "original" H&A so I can't check to see how much room there is at half cock. I know there is not enough room to put my thumb on the cap to seat it.
CoyoteJoe, I have repaired several rifles with bad threads in the nipple hole. I use an oversize threaded insert and ether solder or Loctite it in.

You're right, CoyoteJoe, T/C and H&A do have different threads. For years I thought I had a T/C nipple in my underhammer until I just now tried to switch them. I guess because they took the same nipple wrench...... Harold

Back