• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dental lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How much lead do y'all get from your dentist in the average "batch", and how long does it take?
I know those pieces are pretty small, but I'm sure I can get all my dentist has unless somebody else is already getting it.

I get about 5-7 pounds every 4-6 months.it is a container filled that is approx 7" dia and about 10" tall. Best thing is that it is free and good stuff. I wear barrier gloves when handling it.

Thank you flashpanner. :wink:
That's enough lead to make it worth asking.

I get enough to fill 2/3 of a quart sized baggie..and I get it about every 2-3 months..my dentist is a high-priced, "cosmetic" money making dude, and he takes lots and lots of x-rays as part of his approach...I guess I get anywhere from 100 to 200 balls out of his stuff, every couple of months...never kept a tight count...Hank

I am getting all that mine has. It sounds like I am getting about the same as you guys. Ron

Thank y'all very much.
I've been getting X-ray room lead in batches of about 100 pounds lately and I've got all of it cast up in bullets and ingots, but it'll eventually run out. :(

Hi y'all,

might be a dumb question, but exactly what are you referring to as "dental lead"?
Thanks
bramble

That plastic square they put in your mouth when the dentist x-rays your[url] teeth...Inside[/url] is a thin piece of lead, I've used it to mold balls for 20 years or so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, is that thin piece of lead held in by any type of adhesive? Or, can you just tear the paper thing open and it will just fall out?...

This sounds like a good idea, I'll have to check with the dentist next time I go in for a cleaning...

I collected a load from my dentist three days ago after reading the posts here. The lead had already been removed from the paper when I received it.

Ogre

Back