• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer fat as lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have worked up some deer and saved and cleaned the fat. I have been using olive oil and beeswax in a 4 to 1 ratio and it does fine. but I am always looking for something better. Has anyone had any luck with this stinking deer fat, or am I barking up the wrong long rifle?

Bert I use it, love it. Why is it stinking? I used to use Groundhog&beeswax for 20yrs, like the deer tallow because is as good or better and when it is hot out 90% the tallow dosen't leak out of tin.Groundhog,bear,skunk stay oil,unless frozen. I keep all my fat in frezer till I need it. So it don't get rancid,have all of above. Try it. But it shouldn't stink. Head of possoum trot hollow. Dilly

I've used both deer tallow and marmot oil and like both. You have to render the fat by cooking in a frying pan till you get a clear liquid. Watch it and don't let it get too hot or it will scorch. Strain out the "cracklins" and pour into a container that can stand very hot liquids.
The deer tallow will harden to a wax when cool but marmot remains a clear liquid. It makes a good leather dressing but will always smell like marmot. :grin:

I read one had to boil it a second time with water to remove all the salt from the fat? Or did I miss something?

Ya didn't miss a thing Strong. What yer talking about is "trueing"(sp)the fat. After ya cook the fat down (real slow n easy like)and strain off all the solids,let it set up n get solid. Then break it into chunks n put in a good sized pot and cover it with water by about an inch over the fat. Bring it to a low boil for about 1/2 an hour or(give it a stir now n again) so until everything is really melted, then set it off to the side to set up again(outside if its cold n the fridge if its not). Once it is hard, slide the fat off the top of the water. The underside of the fat will be sort of slimey n gritty, scrape this junk off and toss it, put the fat back in the pot(clean the pot first) with new water and do it again. After it sets up the second time around and ya scrape the bottom it ought to be nice n white in color and more waxy feeling then slick like grease.This then is clean "trued" fat.What ya have done is remove all the junk from the fat that ya really can't see, there will also be crud in the bottom of the pot of water that has settled out of the fat as it boiled, thats why ya clean the pot n use a fresh bacth of water each time ya boil it. It ought to keep for ages without going bad on ya and ya can mix it with whatever ya want for patch lube, leather dressing or whatever.Hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

Does anyone have a good recipe for deer tallow lube. Since it is waxy, is it mixed with something else to make it a bit softer? Or do you just use it as is?
Black Hand

Blackhand I use it as is, you could add beeswax to it if you want a stiffer lube. Dilly

I have used deer tallow for chapstick. It pours right into an empty chapstick container. That stuff really sticks! Got the idea after trying to get it off the roof of my mouth after eating some. GC

Dilly.
The stuff I have is very hard (like candle wax), and does not spread easily. I will give it a try as is, before I mess with it. By the way, deer tallow is great stuff to slather on your barrel after browning and neutralizing. The stuff sticks better than oil. I then warm it with a torch and rub it in as a finish for the barrel.
Black Hand

guncobbler said:
I have used deer tallow for chapstick. It pours right into an empty chapstick container. That stuff really sticks! Got the idea after trying to get it off the roof of my mouth after eating some. GC
How does it work as chap-stick?
Black Hand

Hey Blackhand ya can warm some of it and mix about 70/30 fat to olive oil for a lube. if ya don't like that consistency ya can play with the mix to get what ya prefer.After ya mix it well just pour it into yer container n let it set up. See what it's like under the conditions you use it to shoot in, try it in the house(sort of like summer being the house is warm)and now that it's colder, outside to see if it spreads the way ya want. Ya sort of have to play with the mix to get it the way ya like hope this helps YMHS Birdman

Mix it with petroleum jelly to get the right texture, melt it and pour it into empty chapstick tubes or little screw top jelly sample jars. The stuff sticks to your lips real nice. GC

Deer fat shouldn't have any salt in it. I use 1/3 each deer tallow or hog lard, bee's wax, and olive oil. I use more olive oil in the winter time to make it softer. Mine doesn't smell. I use it on leather too.

Thanks folks! I got another one yesterday and will work it up. I think the re-cleaning of the fat will help. I've tried mutton tallow and the stink was in the house for two days. All my fun and games are outside now. The kids help. I've got a number of hides saved up and have been cracking the heads open for the brains and will try tanning and smoking. I will try making a priming horn from a leg bone also. Any of you had luck brain tanning?

Bert go to[url] braintan.com[/url] that should answer any questions ya may come up with. It is the best site on the web for brain tanning. Also be prepared for some tired sore arms LOL I've tanned in the past n it is a long tireing job, satifying but man ya get tired breaking n working the hides. Have fun hee hee maybe ya can make it into a neighborhood project, get all the kids to work on pulling the hide, by the time they all get tired ya ought to have a couple done LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back