• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Darkening/antiquing brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky_man

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some bright brass on my pistol that I need to "antique" or patina so it's not so bright. What's a good product to use? I'd like a deep rich color, not something light.

I've heard you can use copper sulfate dissolved in water, but is there a commercial product I can try also?

I found this product online:
[url] http://www.historichouseparts.com/brass_darkening_solution.aspx[/url]

or
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...D=5&SUBID=65&STYLEID=223&PARTNUM=BC-BB-2[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Birchwood Casey Brass Black will create a very black, very thin coating on the brass.
If Black is what your after this might work but fair warning. It is very thin and easily damaged. The one place I used it I ended up applying a coat of clear lacquer over it to keep it from wearing off.

I haven't used the products mentioned in the other link.

One method of getting a dark tarnished look is to shoot a black powder gun and wipe the bore with a wet rag. Transfering this fouling to a clean brass surface will tarnish it but it may look rather uneven.

Another method of darkening brass parts is to buy some household ammonia and a plastic refrigerator bowl with a lid that is big enough to hold your parts.
Make something that will fit into the bowl that you can sit your parts on.
Pour some ammonia into the bottom of the bowl, place the parts on the support and put a lid on it. The parts will develop a dark tarnish from the fumes.
You do NOT want to place the parts directly into the fluid. It is the fumes that do the work.

I also have to mention that ammonia fumes are not only bad for humans but the weaken brass parts.
For most brass parts this isn't a problem because they are mainly for decoration but I would not recommend using this method for the brass frame of a pistol or other things which need to maintain their strength.

Remember, all of these processes require that the part be absolutely oil or grease free.
I would recommend that you first clean the parts with acetone or lacquer thinner before you try any of them.

zonie :)

I've got a 58 remmy I'm antiquing by spraying it with a vinegar and salt mix and letting it rust for a few days. The trigger guard is turning green. Don't know what it'll look like when it's done.

i've used birchwood caseys perma-blue on brass with it coming out a nice dark brown to the brass with hues of gold and blue mixed in :v ..............bob

If you have any "cold blue" or touch-up blue on hand it will darken brass very well, works better for me than the "brass black" stuff, which actually seems to work better as a cold blue. Maybe they should switch the labels. :grin:

A quick & easy way is by using baking soda. Make a paste with some by adding hot water. Cake it onto the part & let it sit overnight. Rinse well in the morning. Also if you don't want it as patinaed, don't leave it on as long. I believe they call this 'penny browning'.

Here's an 'overnite' on a hawken. The colours produced look almost like case hardening
p2.jpg

p3.jpg

This was maybe an hour or so on an underhammer buttplate

p4.jpg

Now you know what, I really like that! :shocked2: I keep hearing folks talk about darkening brass and didn't think I wanted any part of it but, after looking at that I may just try it. Heck if I don't like it I can always shine it back up! :rotf: :rotf:

A quick, easy, and CHEAP way is to use the first wet patch used in cleaning your bore (after shooting black powder) and wipe it over the brass parts. This will impart a patina that is easy to control. If you don't like it, just steel wool it off and try again. Emery

Latest posts

Back