• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DAMASCUS STEEL CHEF'S KNIFE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
To each their own, but methinks one could get rid of that laminated handle, and make themselves one great sheath knife for 40 bucks.

DAMASCUS STEEL CHEF'S KNIFE

95171.gif

[url] http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95171[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a damascus knife and found it hard to put an edge on. I've got a soft black iron knife now that I can shave with.

DP

Soft metals can be sharpened quickly but they also dull quickly. A hard steel, like Damascus, is difficult to sharpen, but it holds its edge through weeks of use. Sharpening is a three stage deal, to do it right. Use a medium ( washita) or coarse stone to grind a fine beveled edge on the blade the entire length. Hold the blade so that you get the same angled bevel the whole length. Do this on both sides of the blade, so that the cutting edge remains dead center. ( You can change this for certain jobs, but this is for a working knife.) I like to hold the blade about 15-20 degrees up from the stone, on each side, so that I have a 30-40 degree bevel, depending on the shape of the blade, and what work I expect it to do. On thin blades, I may even go shallower on the angles.

Then the second stage is changing to a hard arkansas finishing stone, very hard, and raising up the blade so that the finishing angle is more abrupt. Again, depending on what blade I am sharpening, and what kind of work I am doing with it, will depend on how abrupt an angle I want. It may be 45 degrees for a knife I expect to cut saplings and wood for tools, tent pegs, etc, or down to 15 degrees if I am wanting to cut thin skinned animals or filet a fish, or shave.

The third stage, which is perhaps the most important, is to strop the edge on a leather belt, to remove the fine burrs from the edge, polish the edge on both sides, and straighten the thin edge so it stand in a straight line. The straightness of the edge determines to a very large extent how much drag you will feel using the knife to cut anything. The smoothness of the edge is also a factor. If you don't strop, the burrs catch and tear holes into the edge, and dull the edge quickly. Then you find yourself back with the stone, sharpening it again.

I put three separate bevels on one knife blade for a friend of mine, once, because he was wanting this knife to do a variety of camping chores. I put a coarse, 45 degree bevel close to the hilt for about an inch and a half because he was going to make temt pegs and fire tools with that part of the knife; The edge that lead around the curve of the blade, I made into a 25 degree edge, razor sharp, as he was going to use that part of the blade cutting fish, and fileting them. The point got a 25 degree bevel on both sides, because he told me he intended to use the point to open CANS! So, I made the point sharp, but strong, so he didn't break it opening metal cans. ( I did try to talk him into using a can opener, but He is old enough to be my father, and would not listen!)

And, I sharpened a knife blade that was going to be used exclusively as a patch cutter on a flintlock rifle, so I put a narrow bevel on one side, only, so that the other side of the blade would ride flush with the muzzle of his gunbarrel. If you think of how a chisel is shaped, that is how I sharpened his knife blade for that function. I don't think he has had to sharpen that knife since I did it for him, and he loves it. But, again, he doesn't use if for any pupose other than cutting patching.

Paul,

Thanks for the tips.

I'm afraid I'm lazy and use a medium and fine grit diamond hone. And I can't afford a selection of good stones.

DP
Moore, Oklahoma

I buy my stones from Roger Needham, at Friendship, and pay less than $20.00 for each stone, except the long dark, fine,arkansas, which I think he charges the full $20.00 for. The idea that stones are expensive is just not true. Now, if you want to buy them through some of the mail order houses, you are going to pay through the nose. I got caught years ago, paying 8 times the true cost of a stone because I ordered it through a mail order house. I still have, and use the stone, but try to get others to learn from my mistake, and use better judgment about buying stones. Roger says the black arkansas stones are all but gone, and you now can only get that fine grit in a grey, green, or yellow colored stone. The grit size is what is important. A washita,( Medium) and a fine grit stone is what you need, and I recommend buying the longest stones you can. Mine are 13 inches, plus, and almost 3 inches wide. I get long even strokes with them, and that helps put on fine edges.

Order the Razor Edge Book of Knife Sharpening, through a local book store, and then contact the company in Eli, Minn. by email, or their 800 number, and order their catalogue. They make blade clamps to guild your blade over stones and maintain the same edge angle on both sides of the blade. They have a small size, for pocket knives, and a medium size that works okay for knife blades up to 6-8 inches. These are strongly made clamps, that use allen screws to hold the positions, unlike some of the other blade guilds you see being sold. John's book on sharpening knives is the BEST book on sharpening knives, hawks, axes, chisels, and any other edge, that exists in print today. He tackles a lot of nonsense that has been passed down through the years about knife sharpening, and what to use, by showing you shy what some people think is sharp, isn't.

TANSTAAFL,
I agree for $40 you could do many things with it.
I personally like Damascus steel. Once properly
sharpened it will and does hold an edge very
well. IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Wow, thanks for the link. Imagine the time and sweat an old-time bladesmith would put into producing a blade like that.

Blizzard of '93 said:
Imagine the time and sweat an old-time bladesmith would put into producing a blade like that.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind, would be very labor intensive if done by hand.

I can't open the link, but coming from Harbor Freight I highly doubt that that knife is actually damascus steel. My guess would be, and I could be wrong, that it is simply a carbon steel blade that has an artificially etched pattern on it. If it is damascus it would be a good deal, even considering it probably isn't the best quality.

Link still opened right up for me. Here is what their description of it is.

A culinary work of art--this high carbon steel blade is made following the tradition of the legendary Damascus swordsmiths. Using a similar process the steel is heated, folded and pounded to produce a hard yet flexible blade with a distinctive one-of-a-kind pattern.
Cuts clean, doesn't stick to food
Keeps a long-lasting sharp edge
Beautiful pakkawood handle
12-13/16" L overall, 7-3/8" blade

ITEM 95171-0VGA

ALJ,
Is there something about Harbor Freight we should know.I.E Are they known for selling inferior
products,etc. :hmm:
snake-eyes

Harbor Freight sells low-cost stuff. Inferior isin the eye of the beholder. I have a Lodge Dutch Oven, made in the USA, a CampChef DO, made in China, and a Harbor Freight DO, made in Chna. Cost was $40, $25, $11. You can tell. But the Harbor Freight DO works fine. If I drop them all on concrete my guess is that the Lodge one would fare the best and the Harbor Freight one would fare the worst.

I have seen tools there that sold for way too little and looked like garbage and others that look good.

I have never seen a price that looked like a gouge - i.e. piece of garbage that was priced like it was good stuff. So I am guessing this $40 knife is a decent piece of Chines steel. Not as good as a $100 knife that you would buy from a craftsman, but good enough for a guy in his garage to make a nice-looking and functioal knife out of.

Back