• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In absolute agreement with every word Black Hand has said. None the less, enjoy it for what it is.

I've personally have never came across any documentation of such knives. Keep in mind "kneck knives" were not small knives or patch knives as they are considered today, rather they are a modern addition.

BH

The good thing is we know not to get you one for Christmas now.

Fleener

Nice practical little knife ! Good on you and enjoy it. I am sure if it was around in Jim Bridgers time he would have had one !!

Lot of snobs around here sometimes.

I like it! Cutting patches or that campfire steak, looks good either way. I use a BIC for starting fires.... Does it really matter to the patch if it is PC, HC, BS or FA??? Bet you don't go to campsite on a horse or on foot eh??? How PC is the King Ranch or Escalade that you use to haul your gear to camp?
Geeze, just appreciate it for being cool.....

Griz44Mag said:
Lot of snobs around here sometimes.

I like it! Cutting patches or that campfire steak, looks good either way. I use a BIC for starting fires.... Does it really matter to the patch if it is PC, HC, BS or FA??? Bet you don't go to campsite on a horse or on foot eh??? How PC is the King Ranch or Escalade that you use to haul your gear to camp?
Geeze, just appreciate it for being cool.....

The fact that history and authenticity is important to some makes them a snob?

Fact is many come here with the intent of something being HC because it appears old or looks the part. Not entirely sure people are being "snobs" as you put it addressing historical authenticity.

I didn't think I wanted one until the Black Hand bad mouthed it :yakyak: ...... now I gotta have one. :hmm:

Crewdawg445 said:
Absolutely not. What makes one a snob is that they will criticize others for not conforming to their standard. The OP was not stating that he had something that emulated a specific time period or a specific antique style. He was simply stating that he had found something that he liked and that made him happy. Nothing wrong with that....

Yes, no implication of HC given through his post from the start, just stating what has happened many times around here. No worries, in the end everyone is happy! :hatsoff:

Griz44Mag said:
Crewdawg445 said:
Absolutely not. What makes one a snob is that they will criticize others for not conforming to their standard. The OP was not stating that he had something that emulated a specific time period or a specific antique style. He was simply stating that he had found something that he liked and that made him happy. Nothing wrong with that....
For a TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING FORUM, there is a lot of fantasy stuff considered/shown here that IS NOT traditional. Additionally, I didn't set a standard, HISTORY did. If it didn't exist then, why are we even considering it now...?

Also, the poster stated:
Paul_R said:
Actually it was made about a month ago by a smith in Hungary and it's based on archaeological findings. You have to go back way further than the 1970's :haha:

The handle is forge welded to the blade, they're different materials.

Material: Tang: C10, Blade: 2 x 40 layers of twisted C45+90MnCrV8
We have a specific time period stipulated for this site. The words Archeological findings don't give this a pass. What would give this a pass would be THE EXISTENCE OF HISTORICAL EVIDENCE OF SUCH AN ITEM IN THE COLONIES, something that is lacking and has never been provided (even when requested). If any of those who are attacking me can provide such evidence, I will gladly admit I am wrong. If you can't, perhaps you should read a few more period works and spend far less time thumbing through catalogs of fantasy manure made to separate the uninformed and gullible from their money...

The subtitle for the Photos forum says:

Show us your Traditional Muzzleloading camp, outfit, rifle, etc. Traditional Only - no modern designs.

Spence

(Actually in response to Blackhand)
Damascus steel knives were prolifically produced from the 3rd to the 18th century, and traded all over the world. To think that NONE of these ever reached early America is pretty skinny logic. Just because it was not MADE in the colonies does not make it less traditional. How many firearms in America in 1776 were made in America? Not very many... So do you consider those as not qualified for your approval as well?

So tell me Blackhand, what is it that makes you stay angry at the whole world all the time?
Lighten up there, you are going give yourself a stroke....

Please show me evidence of Damascus being commonly used in the colonies. Also, the use of an item in one part of the world in no way means it was used in others (a prime example is the fire-piston - used during the 18th century but nowhere near the colonies, and yet, a common toy with buckskinners). As to the firearms, even being made elsewhere, they CAN BE documented as having been used/imported into the Colonies.

Angry? No.
Saddened by the lack of knowledge and/or willful ignorance among those who style themselves students of history.

Still doesn't change the fact this is a complete fantasy piece for the periods covered by this forum.

Black Hand said:
Please show me evidence of Damascus being commonly used in the colonies. Also, the use of an item in one part of the world in no way means it was used in others (a prime example is the fire-piston - used during the 18th century but nowhere near the colonies, and yet, a common toy with buckskinners). As to the firearms, even being made elsewhere, they CAN BE documented as having been used/imported into the Colonies.

Angry? No.
Saddened by the lack of knowledge and/or willful ignorance among those who style themselves students of history.

Still doesn't change the fact this is a complete fantasy piece for the periods covered by this forum.

Well said! :hatsoff:

A few years ago I went through a two day class taught by Olympic gold medalist shooter Lanny Basham. It was for coaches and for competitors.

One of my takeaways was that not all of the kids I coach have the same goals and desires. Not everyone wants to win a championship. Some just want to be with there friends and have fun and neither is wrong or right.

I wrongly assumed everyone was like me and wanted to win. I now ask the kids at the beginning of the season what they want out of the season and what their goals are.

I coach kids differently based on their goals and desires. My expectations are different as well.

Not all of us want to be as HC as possible. Some don’t care. Some are very tuned into being HC. We are all in our own Journey.

Even those that beat the HC drum admit that for things that can’t be seen by the public they use non HC items.

Fleener

And yet, those who chose to go the extra mile in this hobby are derided and attacked when they dare to express their thoughts. This seems to be a hobby where being mediocre is considered a virtue by many...

Latest posts

Back