• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Damascus patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh of coarse of coarse, I knew what your answer was going to be even before you typed it. :yakyak: :haha:

I'm really not certain what your problem is, but I dislike you intimating that I am a liar or dishonest in my response...

Black Hand said:
Rum is in a corked glass bottle, bacon is in greased brown paper.

The "food to feed a squad" consists of a bag of barley, one of cornmeal, a small bag of dried hominy or wild rice, some dried vegetables (for flavoring), fresh meat and a 4x4 piece of slab bacon. You don't need a grocery store to eat well. What were you imagining?

And still, this is irrelevant to the issue of a non-HC/PC striker knife combo...

Maybe its time for the description to change perhaps??

New owner should take notice of that?

nhmoose said:
They could then change the name to:
The Muzzleloading Fantasy Forum
"Keeping mediocrity alive, one striker-knife at a time..."

Black Hand said:
nhmoose said:
This coming from a man who by his own words uses modern things while reenacting?

Yes - I carry modern items for health & safety consisting of a flashlight and basic first aid kit, and they stay in my pack for emergencies. I also carry a water filter because only an idiot would drink unfiltered water from wild water sources.

Someone who thinks everything must be historically documented before it can be used should not use any of those things when he is out.

You can use a burning stick or a candle in place of the flashlight.

Use a rag, alcohol and turpentine for cuts and abrasions.

Water Filter? Your kidding right?

Drink the water out of a brook, stream or where ever it is found.
If you don't trust it, boil it first.

That's the way they did back in the traditional times.

Zonie said:
Black Hand said:
nhmoose said:
This coming from a man who by his own words uses modern things while reenacting?

Yes - I carry modern items for health & safety consisting of a flashlight and basic first aid kit, and they stay in my pack for emergencies. I also carry a water filter because only an idiot would drink unfiltered water from wild water sources.

Someone who thinks everything must be historically documented before it can be used should not use any of those things when he is out.

You can use a burning stick or a candle in place of the flashlight.

Use a rag, alcohol and turpentine for cuts and abrasions.

Water Filter? Your kidding right?

Drink the water out of a brook, stream or where ever it is found.
If you don't trust it, boil it first.

That's the way they did back in the traditional times.
:shake:

I'm really not certain what your problem is, but I dislike you intimating that I am a liar or dishonest in my response...

My problem is you being hypocritical. Jumping on anyone that uses an item that you think is not PC...asking for documentation. Sometimes that is hard to come by from not very complete historical records.

By your own admission what you yourself use is not all PC that's why I say your being hypocritical.

You did the same to me on the Betty Lamp thread. When I was trekking 40years ago a lot of people used them as I'm sure they did in past history.

We come to this forum to fill the time between hunting seasons and rendezvous. To talk about our guns and gear. It's supposed to be a happy time in a happy place. We don't want or need someone spoiling that for us. I hope you get that and stop pizzing people off

I found this great hand forged neck knife with a 3.3 inch blade. It doubles as a fire starter, throws a great spark. And it fits perfectly in the neck knife sheath from The Leatherman.

The man that posted this was happy with his find and wanted to show it to others. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to get the response he got from you.

He is fairly new on this forum and has not posted a lot. I hope you didn't sour him and run him off.

The knife in question is not historical. It is not traditional. It is a modern design. I quite naturally assumed it was to be used in the OP’s re-enacting, since he stated in his original post that it fit into a neck knife sheath. So, what’s the problem with calling attention to those facts? There are still a few of us on the forum who are interested to know if an item is HC/PC, and we are glad to have that pointed out. For those who are not interested in the historical aspects, the comments aren’t intended for you, so why not ignore them?

On some, but not all of my outings I try very hard to do it as traditional, as HC/PC as I know how. I understand better than some that it’s impossible to get it absolutely correct, even after almost 50 years of study. So, on those particular outings I take no modern lighting, no first aid kit. I do, however, because I’m a very old man with a history of significant health problems, make a few exceptions. I take my flip phone, my nitroglycerin, my car keys. I guess according to some I’m being hypocritical. Well, so be it. It’s not possible for me to care less about such an attitude.

I’m finding very little on this forum which is of interest to me, these days. That’s mostly because of the slow, but steady erosion of the rules of the road. Someone posts a non-traditional item in a forum which specifically says, in red, that non-traditional items are not allowed, and what is the response? Point out the problem? No, change the rules to allow non-traditional items, if the poster is really proud of it. Or if Zonie likes it. And kill the guy who pointed it out.

If the day ever comes when the HC/PC status of an item cannot be discussed on this site without receiving criticism as a librarian, stitch Nazi or such, that will be my last day here. It seems closer every day.

Spence

George said:
The knife in question is not historical. It is not traditional. It is a modern design. I quite naturally assumed it was to be used in the OP’s re-enacting, since he stated in his original post that it fit into a neck knife sheath. So, what’s the problem with calling attention to those facts? There are still a few of us on the forum who are interested to know if an item is HC/PC, and we are glad to have that pointed out. For those who are not interested in the historical aspects, the comments aren’t intended for you, so why not ignore them?

On some, but not all of my outings I try very hard to do it as traditional, as HC/PC as I know how. I understand better than some that it’s impossible to get it absolutely correct, even after almost 50 years of study. So, on those particular outings I take no modern lighting, no first aid kit. I do, however, because I’m a very old man with a history of significant health problems, make a few exceptions. I take my flip phone, my nitroglycerin, my car keys. I guess according to some I’m being hypocritical. Well, so be it. It’s not possible for me to care less about such an attitude.

I’m finding very little on this forum which is of interest to me, these days. That’s mostly because of the slow, but steady erosion of the rules of the road. Someone posts a non-traditional item in a forum which specifically says, in red, that non-traditional items are not allowed, and what is the response? Point out the problem? No, change the rules to allow non-traditional items, if the poster is really proud of it. Or if Zonie likes it. And kill the guy who pointed it out.

If the day ever comes when the HC/PC status of an item cannot be discussed on this site without receiving criticism as a librarian, stitch Nazi or such, that will be my last day here. It seems closer every day.

Spence

Hats off to you Spence, coming from you those typed words are gospel. For anyone to dispute your comments they apparently are not aware of your deep knowledge and passion for such things. :applause: :hatsoff: Well said in every way good sir, couldn't agree more! Very few are as knowledgeable as you and Black Hand, I for one thoroughly savor the advice and words you both bring to the table.

Spence, I understand your point and I respect your opinion. I'm an old man too and I still try to be period correct in all of my ML endeavors.

Like you because of my age and health condition I sometimes have to make exceptions like with the problem with my feet. I also keep my insulin pen's that I have to inject myself with twice a day close at hand. Other than that everything I carry and how I hunt is PC.

I do this because I enjoy doing things they way my forefathers did. I want see things through their eyes as much as possible and experience the challenges that they did.

There are those that don't feel the way you or I do so I won't criticize them for how THEY enjoy the sport. We're all different and as long as we don't break any laws or hurt anyone we should be able to enjoy the short time we have on this earth without being chastised for our choices

George said:

Spence

Well said Spence! Yes. there are some of here who are actually interested in actual history. I for one am sick & tired of the straw man attacks - if your gun has a modern steel barrel, you are not 100% correct so that means that there is (to some) no reason to try. There is nothing wrong with a neat but non historical gizmo until someone tries to dance on the head of a pin in an attempt to pass it off as a "coulda been so musta been". No one gets in a hissy when someone posts about wanting a .32 cal & others point out that it is too little for hunting bear. No one goes off when someone posts about some pricey cleaning stuff & others point out that water does as well for free. It seems fine to observe that some stock styles are cheek slappers but there are those who choose to take an accurate observation on the HC/PC of an item as a personal attack. It doesn't make any difference if the PO did not ask about PC, replies are read by all and if not of concern to the OP, a reply may well be very interesting to others reading the thread. If someone does not care about HC/PC things, FINE - just don't attack those that do.

If someone does not care about HC/PC things, FINE - just don't attack those that do.

That critter has two feet...

If someone wants all things to be HC/PC, FINE - just don't attack those that don't

I've chewed on this bone long enough. :patriot:

NWTF Longhunter said:
If someone wants all things to be HC/PC, FINE - just don't attack those that don't
If someone points out that an item you posted is not HC/PC, don't take it as a personal attack, but a heads-up to those interested in such things. This thread is a case in point, nobody...nobody... attacked the OP in the slightest way, only the item. He is free to use it as much and in any way he chooses, and there is zero requirement for him to be the slightest bit interested in the historical aspects. I could care less what he does with it.

The same is true of any item, but if it is obviously non-traditional, and the poster claims it is traditional, then there is a problem. Or, there should be, if this forum is functioning as it should.

Spence

Likely not. There are so many threads that drift off topic, that moving them around based on replies would only create confusion. When say a rifle is posted in the "flintlock" section, the door is open to comments about build quality, hunting with it, suitability for reenacting, target loads vs hunting loads, personal stories about the builder, etc etc as well as the generic "I like it". Everyone is free to choose how HC they wish to be or not be - the problem is when simple statements of fact - that something is or is not HC - are twisted by some into being seen as some kind of personal attack. If I post about a .40 caliber and someone states that it is too small to legally hunt deer with in their state, that is not a personal attack. It is simply a piece of information that I might care less about (if I have no plans to hunt there) but that might be of real interest to someone who had not thought about that aspect of a .40. By the same token, a simple comment about something being HC or not is simply a piece of information, valuable to those that care and simply another bit of useless information to be ignored by those for whom it does not apply.

Grumpy old men.

When a newbie gets his first inexpensive repro rifle that is not really repro but it is black powder, he is taking his first steps into what can be a lifetime of enjoyment. It is a slow growth from just that first rifle to a better rifle and an understanding of the past and what it can mean to follow the footprints of those eras long gone. Over a lifetime the implements of the past become our own, and a new way of life has blossomed.

But when a few grumpy old men have conniption fits and treat a new user like a criminal, that potential growth is nipped before it ever gets started. We should share and encourage the beginners. What we SHOULD NOT do is treat anyone that does does not completely buy into the PC/HC/BSC life at the onset like a leper.

I have encouraged 3 of my co-workers to come to this site to learn more about the world of black powder guns and that way of thinking. All three have come to visit here, and never returned. All three have indicated that the realm was too hostile and new people were treated badly.

Get it? It's supposed to be fun and a place to share a common interest.
What it is NOT supposed to be is the clic of rich biatches at the school cafeteria that hang out in the corner and make fun of the poor girls that don't have designer shoes to wear.

Being old is not an excuse for being rude.

Griz44Mag said:
Being old is not an excuse for being rude.
Bringing up that an item isn't PC/HC is NOT RUDE.

Being young/new (or old) is no excuse for being lazy or pretending there isn't a right (and wrong) way to do things. Someone starting with a repro rifle is not a crime, but insisting that said repro rifle is a spot-on, historically-accurate item and making no effort to improve IS a problem.

Why is it that people are encouraged to learn from those with more knowledge & experience in every other vocation/avocation EXCEPT this one? And that someone sharing their knowledge freely (and the poster being under NO pressure to accept said information) IS a problem and treated like a crime (especially by some who should know better).

We don't improve this hobby by being mediocre and encouraging others to be mediocre too, we improve it by having a passion for knowledge and trying to do what was done with what they actually had.

Well said.

I've been on this forum for 8 years, and have read almost every thread posted in all forums in that time. If there was ever an instance of a newby being treated rudely on a personal basis, I must have missed it. Many a one has been advised that some gear, procedure or belief was not historically correct, but never attacked for it that I've ever seen.

Strange. When someone wants help with a problem, the old boys are the fount of all wisdom, not to be questioned, but if they happen to disagree with someone's take on the question of HC/PC, they are grumpy old men.

It's enough to make a person grumpy.

Spence

Back