• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder Chamfering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
I could not find the discussion in the handguns forum concerning making a slight chamfer on the entrance of each revolver cylinder chamber to make it easier to load conical bullets. Can a forum member describe their method that they used to make an accurate chamfer in their cylinder chambers?

I could not find the discussion in the handguns forum concerning making a slight chamfer on the entrance of each revolver cylinder chamber to make it easier to load conical bullets. Can a forum member describe their method that they used to make an accurate chamfer in their cylinder chambers?
A really good drill press with the depth set carefully will produce good results. I have not done this in years. seems unnecessary to me.

I have done this many times by by hand with a common countersink. The amount of material you remove is very small, you are just trying to remove any sharp edge at the chamber mouth. Given that small amount I don't know how beneficial it would be for centering conical bullets but it sure helps swaging round ball into the chamber instead of shaving a ring of lead from the ball.

I've done it numerous times on the other end of the cylinder but would guess it's the same either way.
You'll need a bore guide and chamber chamfered and a little oil That's about it.

The idea, as I've heard, is to swage the bullet/ball into the chamber rather than shaving a ring of lead. That being the case, I'd think it's more than taking off the edge or rounding it - maybe only a little bit more.

The idea, as I've heard, is to swage the bullet/ball into the chamber rather than shaving a ring of lead. That being the case, I'd think it's more than taking off the edge or rounding it - maybe only a little bit more.
Well in that case you would only need to remove about a lead rings worth of material from the mouth of the chamber. Probably not much. I haven’t done so in years but maybe it’s worth doing.

You only want to break the sharp edge on a chamber mouth as to much chamfer allows more lateral gas escapement at the gap.

You only want to break the sharp edge on a chamber mouth as to much chamfer allows more lateral gas escapement at the gap.
The same thing happens when the edge of the forcing cone gets eroded or is cleaned up with a heavy chamfer from said heavy erosion. I know this to be true from magnum revolver work which exaggerates this problem and really starts gnawing at the top strap.
Setting a barrel back one turn to index at top dead center and shortening the ejector rod housing to get a sharp, clean barrel forcing cone ,on any solid frame gun is a fair amount of work and not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
The steel used in replicas is typically pretty malleable. You can push a lip onto the bottom of the chamfer when working on chamber mouths. You mite think it wouldn't be a big deal but a tiny bit of constriction on the shaping of the soft lead ball as it is pressed into the chamber can matter. So it's just another little something to be aware of and to check for.

The theory behind it is sound but over the last 51 years of cap and ball shooting I've read alot of ya's and nay's of doing so. I've never done it, have never had problems in ramming ball into cylinder except when trying out .457's into Pietta's/Uberti's that .454's work and shave a nice ring of lead.

So the nipples would go in easier?!!

Mike
No, that wasn't what I meant. On an unmentionable revolver the chambers are chamfered to facilitate the use of a speed loader.
so, on a CB revolver it makes since to do the same on the feed end to help when seating a ball.

Along this same line, what should be the angle of the forcing cone? I have one that's a bit rough and needs smoothing. I'd like to turn down a tool with the proper angle and polish with valve grinding compound.

There is another reason for chamfering the chamber mouths that Colt did as indicated in his publication - "On the Application of Machinery to the Manufacture of Rotating Chambered-Breech Fire-Arms, and Their Peculiarities, Vol. 11" for the purpose of preventing chainfires.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    150.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back