• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA St. Louis Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gents,

On the earlier post I got 2 responses to walk away.. too much. And 1 Maybe if it's new. answer.

The CVA Hawken looks fresh off the show room floor,at $190.00, but it is used.. just well maintained. If anyone else had chimed in on this can you repost the reply for me.
Thanks,
James Taylor

Hi Ranger,

In my opinion you could do better for the money. If you watch the auction sites, you can find used T/C guns for $30-50 more and have a much better quality muzzleloader.

In fact, if you look specifically for a New Englander, you can get a much better quality firearm than the CVA for around $150. I think the New Englander is one of the best values in a quality used muzzleloader right now.

Now, the CVA is not terrible. There are forum members who have them and love them - I've had one for about fourteen years myself. My experience has been that the CVA is okay as long as you are very careful to make sure that the fire channel is clear - mine can be pretty persnickety.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

Spot

Hey Spot,

Yeah I got a T.C. Hawken... wouldn't give for it. :grin: A GPR kit in the process of buildin' If you gents think so, I may skip it, I got a .32 squirrel CVA and a .50 Plainsman CVA plus an 1860 colt the misses is goin'ENOUGH!

James Taylor

ranger said:
Gents,

On the earlier post I got 2 responses to walk away.. too much. And 1 Maybe if it's new. answer.

The CVA Hawken looks fresh off the show room floor,at $190.00, but it is used.. just well maintained. If anyone else had chimed in on this can you repost the reply for me.
Thanks,
James Taylor

I had one and sold it to a friend for $50.00 it had a accurate barrel but I could not get it to fire all the time. I did not know as much as I do now and it probably was operator error. I built a TC Hawken 50 from a Kit for my father and it never gives me any problems firing. I would agree that one of the TC rifles would be a better choice IMHO.

sounds to me that you really want this rifle. So let me ask you this; is this sale from a friend ( I personaly don't barter with friends) or another sorce. If it's not a friend will he take less ... how motivated is he on selling? If he needs cash offer less and see what happens .... money talks. I don't know much about the guns myself (just starting out). I'd try 125.00 and see what his reaction is and what his counter offer is ( assuming he's willing to barter). good luck

I think the price is right if the gun is how you describe it. I have 6 CVA's and they don't give me any problems to speak of. I consider CVA kind of a entry level gun. There's not much you can buy anymore for $190.00 and if it not to your liking you can always sell it and get your money back.

NE HUNTER AND ROGUE RIVER,

I wouldn't be buying from a friend. I built as my first kit a CVA Mountain Rifle back in the late 70s.Douglas Barrel... how little i knew..... :confused: Well I love these guns and just want to build a poor mans collection.Never be able to afford the beauties I see here. So that's kinda my frame of mind.I will continue to hunt for another Mountain rifle,51 navy,CVA Derringer and CVA mountain pistol then rest on my laurels and make smoke.
Thanks,
James Taylor

Gents,

Walked away, no sweat. My soon to be modified GPR ala what Liver eatin Johnson is doing will be plenty for the moment anyway. I'm gonna keep my bucks till one of the others I'm hunting for falls my way.
James taylor :thumbsup:

the cva hawken is an excellent shooting rifle. The st louis is the newer version and has a way better lock than the old ones had.

My brother had a cva hawken from 1987 "i think" and its an awesome shooter.

i owned both the tc hawken and renegade. I sold both. Great rifles and all but the hawken had a really tight bore and not enough drop in the stock for me to shoot comfortably. The renegade was a nail driver but recoil on both rifles just wasnt what i liked.

I purchased my CVA for $135 a couple of years ago. I passed on three TC Hawkins for $150 a year ago at a gun show. Keep your eyes open, they're out there. I'd offer $125 and give up to $150.

Kurt

I agree with Spot. The New Englander is one of the best buys out there in muzzleloaders. I have 2 that I gave $150.00 for each.

I bought a TC Hawken in excellent condition last year for $200.00.

I personally think you can do better. jmho

Jerem0621

This was about two years ago but I bought two CVA Hawken 50 cal guns for 75 each. I also got about the same time a new model Mt rifle in 50 for 150 so it could be high and waiting tell your gut tells ya jump on it works for me . By the way all three of the guns were bran new in the box still. not from an auction sight but a online dealer just wish he had more as I would buy them all up if I could and yes I love my cva's that’s why right now I have 4 and am looking for some other ones . Of the 4 one is the first one I bought as a kit back about 1978 it has been rebuilt this year and I love it even more now. It still is the shooter I felt it was back when I place a few time with it in competition.

Friends,

I will pass on the CVA. The person I might have bought it from must think I'm desperate :rotf: He said he got an offer of $ 185 for it and if I could do better...... So I blew it off and will move on till a mountain rifle shows somewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback.
James Taylor

Back