• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Squirrel rifle questions!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just did some trading for a .32 cal CVA Squirrel rifle and would like to know what others know or think about it? __ Also, I have never owned a "pea rifle" like this and need to know a good starting load, as I am use to the bigger bores!

And last! ..Is there a source for new parts, if ever needed?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

you can start with a 15 grain load of 3f with a .310 or .315 rb and go to 40 grains of 3f or pyrodex p

Parts are available at Deer Creek Products 765-525-6181. The don't have a web site so you have to call Mon thru Thurs! :idunno:

Had one that shot good with a 20 gr load of 3f. It didn't fit me very well tho, the stock was too short and the comb was too low. So I got rid of it and got a sweet, handmade .36 southern mtn that i wouldn't get rid of fer love or money...Bud

Had one in the early 80's.
Loaded with 20 Gr. of 3 f BP. 310 RB with 0.15 lubed pillow ticking.
Shot in a 1 inch group at 25 yds. would do that all day long.
Took over 100 plus squrriels with it. 90 % headshots.
Think you might like it.
I did put a rubber slip on boot on it to bring it out to my trigger pull.

For a 32 cal load I'd recommend 20 - 30 grains of 3F. Play with patch tickness and see what works best for ya.

I use a .32 crockett and 15-30 gr of 3f and patched rb .310 and patch works great. went down to 15 gr from 30gr just because I didnt really see any difference in ballistics at the range I was shooting 35-40 yds on rabbits and squirrels.

Rev_William said:
I use a .32 crockett and 15-30 gr of 3f and patched rb .310 and patch works great. went down to 15 gr from 30gr just because I didnt really see any difference in ballistics at the range I was shooting 35-40 yds on rabbits and squirrels.

Same here..except I settled on 18 gr just because I had a measure that size already. Same difference.

Thanks a lot everyone for the information! ... This little rifle should be fun for my grandson's to shoot or should I say, OUT SHOOT grandpa with!

Rick

The literature included with Traditions muzzle loaders lists 10 grains of FFFg as most likely to be accurate, while 25 grains is supposed to be a maximum charge. That's all I can say for sure on the matter.

I have a single trigger caplock version of this rifle. The stock seemed a bit short, at first, but was workable. The problem I had was that I had a hard time getting my cheek low enough on the stock to be able to aim naturally. I was going to modify the stock, but then remembered that I had an extra set of sights, so replaced the front with a german silver front blade and the rear with a buckhorn that is slightly taller than the original sight was, and now it is very comfortable and accurate with 20grs FFFg, but has been claimed by SWMBO. I have tried up to 40grs, but accuracy wasn't as good as it is at 20grs, and accuracy is the main priority after all.

Howard Artel said:
The literature included with Traditions muzzle loaders lists 10 grains of FFFg as most likely to be accurate, while 25 grains is supposed to be a maximum charge. That's all I can say for sure on the matter.

I put mine together from a kit and the hand book from Traditions says 30gr fff was max for the rifle and for the crokett pistol( which I'm working on putting together) is 20 grs fff. another reason I'm using the 15 gr fff so i don't have to mess with to measures

Back