• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swathdiver said:
I don't have my catalogs handy but if you remind me in a month I'll be happy to poke through them and find the year they ditched the patch box for the .50s.
Would you have time to check that catalog? Mine is also lacking the patchbox. Thanks!

The Big Bore 54/58's had no patchbox in kit or finished form. I am speaking of the earlier run of rifles from '78 through 82 or so. The Big Bore and regular Mtn Rifle are gone from my 1983 catalog but are in the '81. CVA reintroduced, and up-priced the Mtn Rifle in 1990 or thereabouts. I have both regular and BB versions of the CVA Mtn Rifle, both early ones. PD

The first few years of the CVA Mtn Rifle were marked "Made in USA". Mine was purchased as a kit in 1975, and I still have it.

Almost right away, the first few years of spanish made barrels where still stamped made in USA because all they did was mill the barrel and cut the rifling.
The rest was assembled stateside.

The Big Bore MRs were all Spanish made and was introduced in the 1979 catalog.

The USA made MRs were introduced in the 1976 catalog and went to Spanish make in '79 as that is when the hardware first changed on them.

It matters not what the barrel says or doesn't say. A well cared for CVA Mountain Rifle is a tack driver as are our Frontier Rifles too.

Back