• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraldo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went up to visit my dad and some other relatives over the weekend, and part of the plan was to see if I could find any deals in gun shops up that way. Instead, my dad asks me, do you want a pistol?

Years ago I bought a .50 pistol just because it was a good deal. My dad had a .50 rifle I had bought him, and eventually I gave him the pistol because it was the only thing I had in .50. I don't think he used it all and he said to take it home with me.

It had a little rust but has cleaned up well, and I found a thread here with starting loads. So hopefully in the next few days I'll test it out.

Gotta love the old man. :thumbsup:

Kind of like this one?
584.jpg

Always thought that the Mountain pistol was one of the best looking ML pistols out there. I like its looks better than the Lyman.

Don

Mykeal, that would be it.

Don, I was mis-remembering it as being a Lyman, but I'm happy with what it is. I always liked the looks of CVA's Mountain Rifle and Pistol.

I went and shot this pistol yesterday and accuracy was excellent. The trigger pull however, is horrible.

I tried a search on trigger jobs/tuning and couldn't narrow anything down. Can anybody point toward a tutorial on smoothing out the trigger?

Reminds me of my CVA Hawken Pistol, just a different butt shape. Excellent accuracy and will also take quite a load.

Geraldo said:
I tried a search on trigger jobs/tuning and couldn't narrow anything down. Can anybody point toward a tutorial on smoothing out the trigger?

There should be an adjustment screw on the tumbler. It controls how much the sear engages with the full cock notch. I have gotten my other CVA pistols to a nice trigger pull from horrible just using that screw.

For my Mountain pistol, I put in a single set Pedersoli trigger. Those are out of reach now but the single sets from MBS look to be as good.

Back