• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva bob cat 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkovire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
need a little help, trying to find out what replacement parts are, hammer, nipple, mainspring ect, and how it all fits together. hammer seams a little slow, how dose it come apart? are all rh sidelocks the same :idunno: single trigger, #11 nipple cva manual dose not tell me part or part#.

Deer Creek Products
1-765-525-6181

They carry a lot of CVA stuff, for just about every CVA ever made. Good service, fast and friuendly.

thanks but don't have long dis phon, thought icould get int. links. ps i'll keep the # :hatsoff:

They dont do internet sales, but here is the address.
P.O. Box 246
Waldron Indiana 46182

You can also find a lot of stuff at track of the wolf
cant post the link due to rules and regs but type it in your search engine and it will come up.

Before you try to take your lock apart clean up the insides and give it a good soaking in some oil.

Wipe off all of the excess oil and then try it.
Often, the tumblers shaft that goes thru the lockplate doesn't get properly oiled becuase it is under the hammer and behind the tumbler.

Taking the lock apart isn't very difficult as long as you remember that you should never pry the hammer off of the tumbler with a screw driver.

Also, you will need a method of holding the mainspring in the cocked condition before removing it.

I would recommend to folks who have never taken apart a sidelock that they try everything else before they actually try to disassemble it.

thank you for the info, if it works don't mess with it. i'v been known to brake it not fix it, and this is a good example of that, got no clue on how to take it apart let alone put it back together. would like to know. no gun smith that dose bp stuff in my area. can you refer me to web site? for a brake down of the parts, an exploded view would do it.

Try Bob Spenser's Black Powder Notebook. Plenty of educational articles with pictures to help you educate yourself.

http://members.aye.net/~bspen/index.html

Also, at the top of the index page to this forum, you will find member resources. There are Articles there that help you understand lots of things about these guns, including tuning and working on flintlocks. Some of the modern locks use coil mainsprings, and they take down a bit differently, depending on brand. The difference between working a flint lock and a percussion side lock is One spring-- The frizzen spring on the outside of the lockplate, the frizzen, and bridle. All the internal parts are similar between flintlocks and cap locks. If a lock is designed to be used with a double set trigger, it will have to have a "fly " in the tumbler.

If you simply remove the lock from the stock, and then slowly cock the hammer back and lower it, examining closely what parts move to compress each of the three springs(flintlock), or the two internal springs(cap locks), you will quickly learn how all the parts function to fire your action. You don't need a degree in civil engineering to understand how they are constructed, and how parts inter-relate.

Last edited by a moderator:
my :hatsoff: to you and :thumbsup: that's what i'v been looking for thank you.

I recommend you get a Dixie gun works catalog. Even if you never order a single product their catalog is full of diagrams, tables, and general information.The problem with the Log Cabin and Track of the Wolf catalogs is they have so many nice things you will spend all of your money!

All my rifles were made by CVA. They are fine shooters but their locks are cheaply made. Oil it like it was suggested and see if it helps. I have had to take apart a few of my CVA locks and file, sand and polish parts to get the locks to work right. There was only one lock I gave up on and it got replaced by an L&R lock designed for CVA guns. Good luck.

Don

cleaned it with out taking apart, lubed the :cursing: out of it! works just fine for know, was told the same thing today.

Latest posts

Back